How do I separate Midi files?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by C-Note, Jun 23, 2018.

1. C-Note

C-Note Member

Hi all,

I have a midi file that contains different instruments, how do I separate the different instruments or sounds without doing this manually? I'm using FL studio. The midi was saved with all instruments playing on the same channel, I had no options to separate them on FL.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  3. Ray Tracer

Ray Tracer Noisemaker

C-Note:
    I can tell you that Cubase does the separation of the MIDI instruments to separate tracks (or sublanes of one track), using "Dissolve Part" Sorry, I don't have Cubase running but from the manual... I do know you're using FL Studio, but I'm thinking a function such as "Dissolve" could well be shared across softwares...... you must have a MIDI Type 0 file, which does combine all instruments into one. You'll need to watch for that when saving MIDI; it should give you a choice for Type 0 and 1. Type 1, of course, is the MIDI format you wish you had :)

What I do see in FL Studio is PianoRoll Import MIDI, giving you choices as to the channels to import. Hope this helps. While I'm at it, do you follow the channel conventions for MIDI channels and conventional instrument tracks? The two main conventions I use and appreciate are that Channel 3 is bass, Channel 10 drums, so I generally put extra percussion on Channel 11. You may already know this stuff..... I'll try some FL Studio MIDI functions, may be of further help. Cubase does it extremely well, as did Sonar. FL Studio is a beast unto itself in terms of how mouse lays down notes and how to stretch, etc.

It would be interesting to see Melodyne's handling..... it is quite capable of polyphonic as it is, maybe a good choice as well.

Not enough weeks in a day.

4. Recoil

Recoil Guest

I do not know how to do this in FL, but I can do this without a problem in my DAW, place the file you want to convert and I will do it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. C-Note

C-Note Member

Thanks all

6. vkris

vkris Ultrasonic

freeware MidiSplit 1.0

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Interesting choice!

8. m9cao

m9cao Producer

forget fl studio, load the midi file to studio one, every track will separated

9. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

FL Studio asks you which channels to import. If the melodies are together on the same channel, you'll have to separate them manually regardless of the program you're using.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

if you specify when you make the midi file in the first place to make midi seperate tracks helps.
    i don't know of a daw that doesn't give you this option when importing anyhow...

11. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I believe it is as simple as saving it in midi format 1 as aluded to above. If it is in 0 I think you can load it and then save it in format 1 and it should then be separated when you open it again.

12. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

if i remember correctly, Reaper ask you how to import the midi files when you open it (all channels on one track or splitted over tracks)
    You can install the Reaper demo which has no limitation (except splash screen at the start).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  13. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

DELETED (duplicate)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  14. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Even though rather vague it sounds like you imported the midi all into 1 track. When you import tell it to make a seperate track for each. Another solution is when exporting a midi every instrument is assigned a midi channel which are the colors in the top left hand corner of the pianoroll. The first green is midi channel 1 the reddest is midi channel 9 midi channel 10 is for drums only. In FL Studio Select the color of the instrument and hit alt a to highlight ONLY that midi channel, then just copy, past to a new channel and delete.

This is from a 15+y FL Studio user unless your probably is anything else besides what you said this will fix it. and teach you about midi channels in fl studio and how to control them.

15. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Exemplary attitude!

16. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Logic will place all the MIDI parts on separate tracks too... C-Note? Corney?

17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yes, you remember correctly... Reaper handles this task natively and efficiently ,
    it's a beautiful thing.. :wink:

18. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

There a 2 kinds of sorting, all instruments can play on the same channel an still be separated

19. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Yes, if you spam program change messages, making your file unnecessarily big and ugly, plus making it a huge pain in the butt for everyone to edit. No thanks. That's what channels are used for.