How do i replicate Bo Burnhams vocal effects?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Shot In The Aftermath, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Shot In The Aftermath

Shot In The Aftermath Newbie

in the new bo burnham special "inside", there seems to be this bitcrushy-autotune effect that you can notice at around 0:26 here

it seems to be always there, just changing the intensity every now and then, anyone know how its called?

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Pretty much any pitch shifter and formant filter. Like Soundtoys Little Alterboy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. I can't hear any effect on the vocal. It's just vocals.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

It's definitely autotuned, tho I can't say which exact processor is that. The character differs from Antares' one. Maybe something like Graillon.

6. Rubbish. He can sing. In tune. As hard as it is to believe, some people don't need auto tune. They are capable of singing. Check his other performances.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. imnotgivingmynametoarobot

imnotgivingmynametoarobot Member

So much BB spam on the internet these days. Its shit. Dont replicate shit. Dont promote shit.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Agreed, there's no effect here apart from bad YT sound compression which is very noticeable here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Is it that hard to answer the question instead of bringing your own opinions here?

10. justwannadownload

Well that's why the effect is so subtle. And how does his ability to sing relate to him using pitch shifter? It's like saying "a good bass player doesn't need compressor because he controls the dymanics of his instrument". Might be true for certain genres, but it doesn't really work that way most of the time.
    We're way past the times when Auto-Tune was used exclusively for fixing mistakes.

11. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

True this. While I still disagree that a vocal effect was used here can't disagree with this statement.

12. justwannadownload

I'm pretty sure there's some pitch shifting going on, at least at some words. Tho I'm almost sure it's not Antares Auto-Tune, and it's probably automated, all for the purpose of creating a hyperrealistic performance.
    Also is this a YouTube compression or plain too much highs on a voice? I know some of my mixes sounded like that without any YouTube compressions...

13. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

When something is so subtle that most people can't hear it, you'll never get consensus without 1st hand confirmation.

14. Automated for a hyperrealistic performance??? Are you serious? Somebody sings in pitch and you think it has to be a trick? How did David Bowie or Freddie Mercury and Elton John ever get by before auto tune? Or if you've seen the Wizard of Oz, Judy Garland singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Or ANY Frank Sinatra recording.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

Maybe a singing style that sounds like using Autotune (but not using it) would be a great art, like Bulgarian Voices. Just an idea for the future evolvement of expression techniques.

16. Singing in the Cher style of autotuning is impossible. The vocal cords cannot snap seamlessly from one pitch to another. They flex and relax to achieve the desired pitch and although fast they are not instantaneous.
    Edit: Yodelling is the closest to this but it is a switch from chest voice into falsetto.

17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

There is pitch correction all over the entire documentary/movie/skit. It's subtle most of the time and more drastic at times. (Yes, ofc he can sing but he still uses correction, like many many pop artists/singers do these days). If you can't hear it then your ears are not fully trained/experienced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

There have been many people that sang with the exact same vocal qualiy, sound and timbre way before all the electronics and plugins of today. Actors and singers from the 1940's on. Offhand check out Danny Kaye from the 60.'s there were literally so many of these people that had natural talent without resorting to fakery unlike almost everyone of today. If you are an avid old movie fan you'd hear these vocal qualities.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  19. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

The million dollar question if a worlwide EMP wiped out all modern electronics how many of you would be able to earn a living playing music. There would still be Valve(TUBE) powered electronics which can survive an EMP so it wouldn't affect all musicians, but unfortunately not too many valve keyboards still exist. But then it would certainly be amazing for job creation in the electronics industry and create mass employment which would benefit everyone.

20. Yes pitch correction is used but it is so subtle that a few cents over or under are corrected. You have amazing ears and I applaud your superior hearing! My ears are not fully trained like yours. I am sorry I thought he was singing in tune when clearly he was not. So many singers today cannot sing at all and without autotune would never be discovered as fraudulent if not for your superior listening skills. Praise be!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2021
  21. justwannadownload

Stop shouting at me and unstuff your ears for a moment. None of your examples are hyperrealistic, while this one is. I start to think that you really don't like AutoTune (neither do I) while simultaneously being a bobur's fangirl. Well excuse me, lady, your perfect boy uses pitch shifting.