How do I organize waves plugins on Windows so they show by use. Guitar, Voice & so on

Discussion in 'Software' started by belinea2010, Oct 10, 2019.

1. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

I have searched the net and on here by various search terms like "organize Waves plugins" on windows and the only reference I can find is for Mac software.

I recently installed the latest Waves 10 complete and they just show in my DAW, Cubase 5, in alphabetical order where as my older version from a good few years ago showed up sorted under headings like, Guitar, Voice, Restoration, EQ and so on.

Is there something I am missing or is there a way to do this?

Many thanks

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The automatic sorting takes place only with vst3.
    You probably installed vst2 versions, but I don't know if 'vst3 only' is supported by Waves 10 bundle. You can check this by repeating the installation (just to see if it's possible).
    If this is possible and you only want vst3, you have to do a complete uninstall (incl checking various folders under c:\ and the registry).
    There are already threads here for uninstalling Waves completely.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Mud Jones

Mud Jones Platinum Record

I don't like the way Waves sort it (example putting NLS under "Distortion" etc) so I just make a favorites list in studio one and do it that way

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Would be helpful to know what daw

In Live I made custom folders of categories that make sense to me and filled them with shortcuts that point to my plugins in the install directory

Although I guess that doesn’t work with waves. I used to use something called shell2vst but I could never get it to work on win10

6. Mud Jones

Mud Jones Platinum Record

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Oh

Well Cubase has a plug-in manager that lets you make your own collections and sort plugs however you want. I can’t swear that it was like this back in version 5 but... probably

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

I don't know if there is an automatic way to do it, but there is probably one way to classify your plugin in Cubase, if it was possible before as Cav Emp said, I don't think it's something they remove in newer version (especially being the brand that create the vst format, that would be a shame).
    I use FL studio, since the 20th version, you can organize the VST as you want, it can take some time at first but once it done, it's really great (and it's easily exportable on another computer or if you want to save it to format for whatever reason - like switching to win10 for me recently)

It took some time to sort out all the wave, especially with all the mono version that can make it look like there is more plugin that in reality, but once you find how you want them organized, it's fast. It took me something like 2hours to organize it on FL (too bad you're not using that, I could send you my folder so you can adapt it easily to your preference)

9. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

Make your own favorites folders in your d.a.w I think almost all d.a.w.s have a favorites folders functions, for samples, plugins etc

10. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Here's an easy workaround that may help: install the Waves Studio Rack plugin which is free. It lists all their plugins by category. So whenever you want to use waves plugins just insert studio rack into a plugin slot and insert your waves plugins in there. You can build some nice plugin chains with it.

11. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I create a whole mix preset for each instrument inside Studio One. I don't waste my time sorting plugins. That doesn't help.
    If you don't use Studio One, create presets in Blucat's Audio Replies.

12. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

13. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

i forgot the thread but last times someone pointed out that the easiest way is possible.....so you can put it like above but i dont use waves anymore so i didnt dip into that and dunno more now

14. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yes. It doesn't work with waves and it doesn't work with any VST3 either as they don't give a sh*t on my sorting. They summarize it under criteria I can't change and it depends on DAW. VST3 in Live e.g. sorts by vendor :snuffy:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  15. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

people still use waves ? alternatives are so much better and less cumbersome. they have very little character

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

At least the vst3 in Live have all the waves plugins under one header. I have five different vst2 waveshells and some of them only have like one or two plugs in them

But I feel you. Kind of annoying all around. Live’s failure to implement proper plug-in management after all this time and ... everything about waveshells