How do I match synthesizer bpm to project bpm ?

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Ewan Birch, May 6, 2020.

1. Ewan Birch

Ewan Birch Newbie

I basically want to know how if say I create a synth pulsating beat or whatever sound it may be in a plugin such as Native instruments Massive or even a plucked string from sculpture. How then do I lock that track to the bpm of the project so it plays in time with other instruments ?

3. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

Most software synthesizers should have a parameter that does that. In Massive for example, it is Global > Preset BPM > Extern Sync.

4. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Or you can add a lfo to the cutoff filter... i don't mess with massive much but just about all synths can do this

5. Satai

Satai Rock Star

If the pulse/fx in your synth is in Hz, you can pick a note value like 1/16 or 1/8 at your project BPM, and convert it to Hz. Online calculator will help you if you can't math.

Then use that Hz value in the synth, it will be in sync. To me, it sounds better when it actually isn't, when it's a little bit off is best. That's why there's value in knowing how to do this manually instead of using that sync button in the synth which does it auto.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Pretty much any soft synth should have a "sync to host" or "MIDI sync" button. I agree with Satai though actually- people rely too much on perfect sync these days for LFOs and delays. It can be cool but back in the early days you jut dialed it close, or just set it where it sounded good and went on. Un-synced delays can sound fatter because they aren't all being hidden by each other.