How do i make VINAI - Raveology Bass?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Dead3eatz, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Dead3eatz

Dead3eatz Noisemaker

Yes, How do i make this, a picture, video or text tutorial would be really helpful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dYx00KFA_A#t=59

It's not just a normal off beat bass, it has like some sort of PHAT sub, but i can't figure out how they have done this and it's bugging me.

How have they got the bass like this and is it a normal off beat pattern or is there more bass before the offbeat normal pattern?

Thank you for the help.

3. pfc1990

pfc1990 Noisemaker

I dont know if you noticed, but theres two basses there (at least, maybe some other layer to give it that nice upper mid that shines in the mix). There's a pretty pumping sub, which is very well compressed and has a good sidechain. Then theres the upper bass layer, which is the bass you actually hear cutting through, and gives it more groove. You have to do both in order to get the sound. The sub should be relatively basic (a nice sine wave will usually do the job, with some good processing to make it thicker, and maybe parallel processing as well to make it both mono and punchy, but wide at the same time) and play around with some presets for the upper bass layer until you find the sound that suits you. Try something different, dont make the same sound. One of the BIGGEST keys to getting the bass right, even more so in this case, is the sidechain. Thats actually probably the most important part. For the actual sounds, both Massive, Spire and Sylenth have some really good presets thats should do the job.

4. Dead3eatz

Dead3eatz Noisemaker

Thank you, yes, i am going for my own kind of bass, not making the same sound but i'm stuck on the sub, it feels like to me, well to my ears that the sub comes in just before the mid bass comes in?
    it sounds like the sub his hitting just straight after the kick and then the mid bass comes in just after that?

is this all about sidechaining and getting a real nice sub? so sidechaining the sub, maybe the sub acts like a reverse bass, i'm not sure ! :D

5. silver

silver Newbie

The easiest way to do this is choose a kick that doesn't have a long decay, so it will leave room for the sub bass to hit on the off beat.

So on each beat you have the kick hitting, and on the off beat you have the sub bass + the mid bass hitting at the same time. High pass the mid bass so it doesn't interfere with the sub, and sidechain the kick to the bass just in case the tail of either hits each other....in other words, yes it's like a reverse bass. That's pretty much all there is to it.

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

When trying to make use of Soundcloud or YouTube embedding simply post the link, remove the s in https and hit post. No need for the media tag.

7. Dead3eatz

Dead3eatz Noisemaker

Thanks man, I will try this tomorrow :)

Sorry Catalyst, i have not been on a forum since 2005, other than the last time i posted here. - I would usually know how to correct that but it's been so long. :)

8. pfc1990

pfc1990 Noisemaker

That was my initial point exactly!! You know why you can hear the sub hitting before? Because the sidechain is shorter. This can be because of 3 reasons mainly: 1. The sub is sidechained to something shorter than the upper bass layer, 2. The release is shorter, or the attack is longer in the sidechain setting for the sub, or 3. A combination of both. So really, the most demanding task is playing around with the sidechain until you get both layers sounding the same. The reverse sidechain for the kick is a good trick to clear up that low end a little bit. But trust me, you have to sidechain to something really short, because its almost as if that sub bass were playing throughout. Its most likely sidechained to something really short (either a kick or some other form of signal, Audien for example sidechains to a midi signal and he can control how long it is, but I dont have the faintest idea how to do that, havent tried it yet) and the kick is still able to come through clean, without creating any mud, because its also short and punchy.

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can use a synth (that plays white noise) as a "ghost-kick", that triggers the key-input (side-chain) of a compressor. That way you can control amp AHDSR of that synth. In combination with the compressor's release/threshold/ratio/etc you have more control.

10. Dead3eatz

Dead3eatz Noisemaker

Thanks for the help guy's i didn't get it 100% like Vinai, but i did an alright job right?

http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/23196366/file.html - Mkae sure you click download, don't play it on the site, it's very LQ