How do I keep portamento (glide) from retriggering my sample from its beginning?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by fleschdnb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

So, this is hard to explain, but what I'm trying to figure out how to do is playback a sample between loop points I have set up with portamento (glide) without the sample retriggering to the start of the sample everytime I touch another key.

I have the same sample spread across the keyboard. I have the Portamento script running . I press and hold one key on my keyboard and if I hold it down, it plays back fine and loops between my loop points as expected. However, while keeping that key held down, I want to press another key to get my portamento glide; however, this retriggers the sample from its beginning, instead of keeping it looping between my loop points. I am trying to keep it from retriggering, and glide to the next note, while maintaining my loop point (ie. not retriggering the sample).

Unfortunately I dont even know what this feature is called, so searching for it in the Kontakt manual and with Google has come to a dead end. Hopefully I am able to explain myself well enough.

Thanks for anyone who responds!

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

If you set any LFO to be key-trigged (Sn'H LFO, Noise LFO or even Velocity) to control your loop-start or sample-start, you will have a new start location every time you hit a new note. But the portamento will start when you hit the new note, so the jump might be a bit drastic (depending on what sample you are using).
    There is no crossfade that I know of, except for your usual amp ADSR set to a tasteful blend/mix/cross.

4. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

Thanks for your reply Baxter, But either I do not know what exactly you mean, or I didnt explain myself well enough. Or both most likely.

1. I load the sample into Kontakt and spread it across the piano roll, all one zone. This way I can play the sample at any pitch I want

2. I turn on the "Portamento" script. This makes the notes slowly "Glide" from one key to the next.

3. I set a loop point on the sample. So when I press and hold the keyboard key down, the sample starts from the start of the sample, but then it starts looping between my loop points until I let go of the key.

---Here is where it gets tricky---

I am holding down the key, and the sample is playing between my loop points, now I want to press another key one octave up so I press another key and the portamento works, however when I press the second key, it retriggers the sample to start from the beginning of the sample instead of keeping it playing between my loop points.

I would understand if I released the first key, then of course it would retrigger the sample from its beginning when I press another key.

However, I still have the first key held down when I press the second key which gives me the portamento, but starts the sample from the beginning instead of keeping it between my Loop points.

This was easy in Reasons NNXT - Oh how I wish there was a VST sample as well layed out and intuitive as the NNXT in Reason.

Thanks again for your response.

5. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

For anyone who might find this reply helpful, I found the answer: In the Protamento - Legato script, set it to "Mono - Legato". I didnt turn the dial far enough and didnt realize that option was there. Thanks again for the reply!