How do I get this DJ SNAKE Vocal Effect -

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by TruBlood, Mar 17, 2017.

1. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

skip to 27 seconds. Looking for this deep pitched vocal sound. I tried pitching down in ableton and adding a few things but i'm sure someone here can get me ..

here's another example

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Soundtoys Little Alterboy if you want a quick and dirty solution.

If you want to get a little more in depth, something like Melodyne or Nectar Pitch Editor. Waves has some stuff like this. They're all over, really.

In the experimenting I've done with this sort of thing, it's important to get the right mix of transpose and formant shift. You can get a surprisingly wide range of different 'sounds' from that, so if you're trying to achieve a specific flavor you'll have to do some dicking around with it.

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I use a combination of the pitchshift on the complex setting in ableton and melodyne to get my low tuned vox. Also to get it raspy and dirty try some saturation and maybe touch of vocoder too

5. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Alterboy, is there a specific setting (not trying to sound lazy) I just didn't know what you meant by quick and dirty

6. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

thanks guys!

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Depends 100 percent on the source material. Set it to transpose or quantize mode. Tbh I'm not sure how quantize even works (usually pitch quantize is done in an editor) but sometimes it sounds better. Unlink the formant and transpose knobs and mess with them until you like what you hear.

One other thing though... sometimes when i hear these low vox effects... sometimes it sounds to me like they've had some pitch quantize/pitch straightening done on them. That's something you can only do in an editor like melodyine, nectar, variaudio
    (last edit) or with a vocoder, like subgenre mentioned

8. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

So Alterboy/melodyne combo should work! thanks guys. It's interesting to see that the music producers go so far into creating something unique. Just a pitch bend does absolutely nothing to get near these sounds. I'll try this out for sure thank you again.

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

You wouldn't believe the amount of processing behind some synth bass sounds in genres like dubstep and glitch hop. It's an enormous rabbit hole. I'm... okay at it. Just good enough to really understand how talented dudes like Koan Sound or Amon Tobin/Two Fingers are.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Cav Emp yes the amount of layering and multi band and mid/side processing is insane. its not just a preset as people like to think, the magic happens in the automation and post processing chains

@TruBlood you working in ableton? i can give you my vox fx chain that will get you the dirty part. ill post a remix track im working on now as an example with some more details

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Check it. Low vox tuned to a lower minor 3rd
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0p2dvk3q7rw1bg/Stay.wav?dl=0
    This is a remix Im working on, found the vox on reddit. Its straight out of the naked 2 bus, raw and uncut. So I know its still off
    I wanted the low vox but didnt want to do the cliche octave that everyone else is.
    So after messing around with different invervals I decided on a lower minor 3rd.
    First I tried to drop it and tune it in melodyne but it had way too many artifacts. 9 semitones is too much for melodyne.
    So instead I used ableton and dropped the pitch 9 semitones with the complex warping algorithm. Ableton uses the elastik algos and is really good once you get the settings right.
    Then I used melodyne to snap it to f minor and get it into key. This combination gave me the least amount of artifacts.
    Here are the ableton plugs I used to get the slightly saturated/dirty sound
    dirtyvox.JPG

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  12. saltwater

saltwater Guest

this examples do not sound really special to me Trueblood, just some pitch shifting an basic fx.

maybe you take a look at Manipulator

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

One thing to keep in mind is that pitch tracking makes a huge difference whether your voice is monotone or melodic.
    If you enable Robot in Little Altar Boy, every sound it processes is stuck to one key. You can adjust the pitch knob or play keys on a midi keyboard to change the pitch but leaving static will shift everything to the same pitch. NI's Razor, Eiosis ELS Vocoder and VirSyn's Matrix are pretty capable vocoders that can do similar things.

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Pinkman and Subgenre on point as usual

To add to what Pinkman said... Vocal resynthesis in Harmor or Loom could do the trick for you. Probably why he listed Razor, but I've never used it so :dunno: