How do I achieve a Bass Stereo Image like this

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by POOONANA, Mar 6, 2024.

1. POOONANA

POOONANA Noisemaker

I was looking through some artists ableton stems and was analysing their bass. They have a fat mono sub bass layered with a heavily distorted sinefold type bass above. When looking at the stereo image of the higher bass it's super wide in the mid 45 degrees. But doesn't leak the sides/go out of phase barely at all.
    How is this achieved as when I try to widening my bass the signal usually bounces all around the stereo field like completely spread out not just in the mids. Thanks :bow:

Stereo image.JPG

3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Could be that only the highs are widened but not the lows. :dunno:
    MStereoSpread in combination with MStereoProcessor for example can do this.

By the way, tools like those stereo analyzers are antiquated in my opinion. Something like Voxengo Corellometer gives a way more clear and detailed picture about the stereo image of the frequency spectrum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

5. POOONANA

POOONANA Noisemaker

Thanks man I'll download Voxengo Corellometer and have another look. You're right It's likely several layers with different widths frozen to audio not just a single bass patch.

6. POOONANA

POOONANA Noisemaker

Oh nice not heard of it but I'll give it a go
    Edit: Yeah this looks awesome definitely something I am looking for

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you use something like Sonalksis Stereo Tool, you can just set whatever frequency you want to mono the low-end at. so example, everything below 100hz is mono. there are other mono maker plugins which do the same thing, but that's the one I often use.