How Did You Start Out Working With Sound?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by gigasquid, Jan 10, 2015.

1. gigasquid

gigasquid Noisemaker

Hi all,

When I started out with sound, thinking about a small project studio, what I'd need etc, I really couldn't find my butt with both hands on a sunny day. I shudder at the money I spent on crap. I had no training as a musician and my noodling around on an acoustic guitar came to an abrupt end after a mis-take involving my attempts at building and launching DIY rockets in my parents backyard. I never did find that blown-off finger and bits of my thumb :dont: I suspect the family cat.

My magic moment came when my GF bought me a brand new Atari 1040STF and a dongled copy of C'Lab's Creator sequencer. This program had such an impact on me that I dreamt about the Creator screen in my sleep and saw it when I closed my eyes. Burned into my retina! The learning curve for a computer illiterate was immense but by the time several years went by, I knew how to drive it like a mean lean sportscar. No formal music training required, just music!

Saw my first Gary Numan concert not long after that and devoured Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Santana etc.

I'm here to learn, so go for it and share what you feel comfortable sharing.

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Started with drums at age 4. Wrote (and modulated) my first sound in Basic on an old C64 at age 11. Got into Max Mix (italian mixing duo) and started experimenting with retriggering sounds on a double-deck casette at age 12. Got a guitar the following year. Heard Kraftwerk. Made me want to buy a funny but shitty Poly800 (first synth). Smells like teen spirit came on MTV. I was hooked. Joined bands. Wrote songs. Went to study music, drums, sound engineering and sound design. Played in more bands and worked as a touring musician for a few years. Had my own recording studio where friends and bands could record for a cheap sum.
    Currently doing sound design for multi-platfom games.

I don't think I wanna know how many hours I've spent tweaking, reading, watching, learning and making mistakes/accidents (a bunch of happy ones too). I've always been curious and wanting to learn new things. Still am.

4. kenstowicz

kenstowicz Newbie

I played guitar for 8 years but when i was 18 i had to sell my halfstack+guitars+pedals and everything to make sure i had enough rent $ in S.F. I ended up getting setup for sales (weeds and stuff) so i lost my place anyways. After getting out of jail I didn't do music for a year or so, but met this girl i started dating who had a macbook and started to mess around with garage band later installed logic pro on her computer. From there i pretty much hijacked her laptop, a friend pointed me to Ableton live 8 and the rest is history. I Bought my own laptop in 2012 and am still dating the same girl.

5. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

The noises in my head made me do it. I was a noisy child. Seriously, when I was three years old, my father bought a reel-to-reel tape recorder. Don't know what he meant to do with it but I was drawn to its neon lights, mysteriously glowing tubes, shiney buttons, slinky wires and assorted whirley bits like a moth is drawn to a flame. Something in the blood, I guess. An irresistible compulsion.

As time went by, I acquired more and more gear and I learned new things by taking it apart, sussing out how it worked and poking around the guts of the kit in order to make it do extra stuff. Being too poor to buy top-of-the-range equipment was a definite motivator. I knew what I needed to hear in order to slake my addiction to audio and bodged everything I had in order to make it happen - sometimes with a degree of success, other times at the expense of getting zapped, singed and blistered by my own soldering iron. Have you ever flicked solder off your iron and have it land on your stockinged foot? Yep - who hasn't, eh?

In my teens, I was "discovered" by the establishment, whom I suppose were so desperate that they were happy to drag me by the heels into the world of professional noise-making. Pure luck on my part. I would have paid *them*, if they'd only asked me to - but they didn't. Instead, they bundled me off for three months of grindingly difficult 24/7 training that damned near broke my will to live. Then, being barely adequately brainwashed, yet having learned the trick of appearing to be ever-so grateful for not being shot at dawn by those who knew better, they turned me loose on the real stuff. So... that's how I got started.

I recall that a guy once said to me, "This really isn't your job, is it? It's your passion." He was dead right, too. Clever man.

6. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I have been playing the piano for most of my life (started when I was about 5). I got a guitar when I was about 15 and started playing in bands/jamming. Got into synthesizers--which triggered my getting back into piano and keys again. Purchased a hard disk recorder with sampling features when I was about 18. Kept going from there.

7. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Since birth i have been making hits, music is in my Blood. lol

Claps, Stomps, Vocal Phrases Lmfao

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Yeeeeeeeh! :rofl:

9. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Your track on the Audiosexed album is sweet. :)

10. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

I started when I was 3 years old with this...

[​IMG]

I thought it was a guitar and "played" it whenever I heard music on the radio. If you will ever take a coffee or drink in my house my mom will show for sure an album with a picture immortalizing this and other embarassing moments of mine (that's the reason why I don't take photos anymnore). -.-"

My first true instrument instead was a small keyboard (2 octaves the first, 4 octaves the second one) and at the top of my repertoire there were Jingle Bells and Oh when the Saints go marching in. I simply loved music so much that I started to learn it on my own, deciphering the Treble Clef and the Bass Clef and how chords were built and notated (these were such big achievements for me at that time!). It was only at 9 that my parents took me to a piano teacher where I started studying music seriously and this gave me a big boost. Since then piano, jam sessions and concertos are the part I love the most of my life.
    Traveling a lot it was almost natural to discover VST and all the world surrounding them. I didn't even know how to connect a keyboard to my pc using the appropriate cable, and now they have become a necessity for my hobby. They have made me a better musician overall especially in learning pros and cons of the different instruments in the Orchestra and how to notate for them.
    This is all: I don't know what's next but I am sure I will still love making music. :wink: