How did you build you portfolio for mixing? (Help me?)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by gavinjon, May 4, 2020.

1. gavinjon

gavinjon Newbie

This may be two threads smashed into one, but I'm both wondering how people who are mix engineers became mix engineers and if any people on this forum are willing to help me build up my portfolio.

So for Question #1: Everyone who's mixed professionally, how did you start doing it? I'm really curious.

And for question #2: If there's anyone that would be potentially interested in hearing mixes and helping an audio engineering student get into the industry, please PM me because I mix nearly every day to practice and improve (and because I really, really enjoy it), but I have nothing publicly shareable, because of this. I really want to get into the industry and I'd be willing to mix nearly anything for free.

3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@gavinjon Welcome to the forum. Some of us went to a specialized school. Some others got in by hanging out in a recording studio. Others by buying gear and practicing at home. In sum, there is not an specific way of becoming one. Yet everyone will tell you that it takes years to master the different techniques, and to carve your signature sound. Even then, everyday you will learn something new. After 40 years doing it, am still learning. Mixing everyday without letting your peers judge your work, and provide you with tips on how to improve, will not bring much benefit in the long run. The earlier you let others with more knowledge judge your work, the easiest the learning process will be. If you get used to bad mixing habits, and they become part of your mixing routine, getting rid of them is not going to be easy. Finally, if want us to critique your mixing, upload your work here. Just be ready for some of the comments. Not every member here is as polite, and respectful as I am.:dont:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. gavinjon

gavinjon Newbie

The multitracks I've been using don't allow usage for portfolio purposes, I was assuming the same would be for uploading them publicly. OK, here and here are two to take a look at (both in different genres).

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Hi @gavinjon

Passion; luck; who-you-know; perceverance.
    Just 'be' doing it constantly, you have to 'be' it. So that people go "Oh, I think Gav could help us out with xyz". And when you're 'being' it, it's not as if one says "I want to get in to the industry". Just sayin'. It's unrealistic until that potential just 'happens'.
    Maybe offer your skills to Dance Studios, Radio Stations, whatever. Think outside the box.
    Maybe advertise on Fiver, so you can practise for money too.

I knew at 5yrs old that I wanted to do this. That helped!
    By 18, I had my own band and had been promoting gigs. This helped me to get to my teacher, who I was touring on the road with and getting my training, all whilst studying for my A levels! He had originally had a studio before providing PA systems.
    I offered my self up, pretty cheap obviously, and he then dropped his assistant who was starting to become a trash-head anyway.
    And there you go. So every tour, & sometimes every night, I was making new contacts, which led to many new things.
    Also at 18, I was working for a #1 Sony Artist as a keyboard player, so I straight away got on the studio circuit. This came together only because I had been doing foh sound for the artist's band in the first place! So there is definitely a bit of luck/who-you know!

edit: Oh, and all that was over 30 years ago, and I'm still doing it!

Last edited: May 5, 2020