How David Lynch Described Twin Peaks to Composer Angelo Badalamenti to Make the Score

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by webhead, Jun 15, 2016.

1. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

• Love it! Love it! x 18
    • Like Like x 9
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

This is IT! We can learn a lot from stories like that. A Rhodes and a cassette - NO distraction, just imagination (and a genius mind).

No need for 8+ sources sound design monsters so you can sit on your keyboard and "produce" something that at the end of the day sounds like everybody else's work... (if you are lucky and stopped at preset No 4321)

I always admired this Soundtrack - so spot on! Thanx for the share. :wink:

4. Yes, exactly, that's how it's done, and the buzz that you get from this space you create, is as good or as better than the love you can make. You can take that to the bank, ka-chink.

5. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Thnx @spidervis it's a great video from a much respected composer.And i like all his genius compositing skills.I mean composers like Hans Zimmer (which i love his music) tend to reach a great result through experimenting with a melody ,twisting it ,blending sounds and stuff but always the most important thing is the first scoring.That is what Angelo does here.The basic melody.And if you see collaborations of other great composers with Hans Zimmer's way of blending and twisting the score and the instruments you reach an even higher level.But imagination on the first melody will always be the base you can build on.If it's a crap you will have to try really hard to have an impact.If it's good it will end up "epic". :dj:

6. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Brilliant!

7. james hill

james hill Newbie

Legendary, does anyone know if Angelo is doing the new twin peaks coming up? Also Julee Cruise?

8. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Please, don't equate that hack Teh Frame with actual talent. It makes me cry. And Angelo cry. And prolly makes music sob helplessly in a foetal position, also.

9. G String

G String Rock Star

Wow. A beautiful life to be able to do that. It shows how impoverished 'normal' life is to see such talent and sensitivity. If I was a music teacher I'd make this a constant accompaniment to every class.

When I see things like this I like to imagine how I would feel if I was stumbling through thick jungle and I come across these sounds......and pursuing them to an opening in the jungle where there is a Chimpanzee sat at a piano in the undergrowth, intently striking out the notes. Or, say, singing Gorecki's Sorrowful Songs or Verdi's Requiem.

I never watched much Twin Peaks as I hate TV and films (I hate how they manipulate me) but I loved the music. Fallout4 theme is a bit like it? ;)

10. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

Bad punctuation my friend.If you give it another shot you'll read "other great composers (comma) with Hans Zimmer" The whole meaning was if we could take a melody from a great composer and use all this twists and blends and orchestrations that Hans does , we could en up with a great piece

11. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Kapellmeister

Loved the way he told the story. TP has an amazing moody score from wherever you look at it, thanks for the video.

12. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

It did seem surprising to hear such a sensible producer spout something that seemed so nonsensical! Although I wouldn't let dear Hans anywhere near a decent score! Can you imagine how awful it would sound if he were to mangle the amazing score (above)?! Or if anyone were to try to play any of Batman / Interstellar / drone#6456 @ d-1 d0 d1 on a Rhodes?

13. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i love it! I was thinking the other day about starting a thread of 'unplanned magic' but this is way better. I mean I understand that production takes tools, real skill and education but I love that magic that happens when an artist sits down and lets the art happen. last week I got to visit a good friends studio.. and standing in the room where artists like Anita Baker.. Bob Segar.. did their thing was like standing on hallowed ground. love it

14. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

That might be funny enough to be used in a comedy :p Just kidding.I like to experiment though.Even if it was the worst piece , i'd like to hear that mixture (of course only if i knew how the original score sounded like.I wouldn't want a score to end up like this without knowing the original sound