How could someone here Hack Renoise and port it as a VSTi ?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Zealious, Jul 9, 2023.

1. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

Hi there, Great Day to y'all

Just checking what would it take/what would be included/needed in/for someone here hacking Renoise and porting it as VSTi ?

So all it's settings could be saved ( and there would finally be proper tracker/step sequencer solution - that is on par with 90's technology, lol ) inside a modern DAW

3. Kerli Hare

Kerli Hare Newbie

TL;DR It's not going to happen, ever. Sorry, man. Drop it.

You asked this question (and your other question about running a Linux-based OS as a VST or something) in the Renoise forums as well.

The same kind of answers that you got there, you will get here as well.

I'm not going to ask why you would want to do such a thing, but I'll let you know right now:

1. No one here (or anywhere else for that matter) will have the time, patience, or technical knowledge to carry out what you're describing. Folks here are mostly concerned with making music. This is over-complicating things, and it's unnecessary. If the Renoise devs really wanted to, they could implement a solution similar to Image-Line's, but there's no chance of this happening. Just look at the many issues and feature requests the Renoise community has brought up that the devs have yet to do something about. I reckon there's a higher chance of adding a dancing anime girl to Renoise than there is to implement this solution (yes I saw that thread too).

2. You asked on another thread about running a Linux-based OS inside a VST. An entire operating system (drivers, kernel, desktop environment, etc.)... on a 15+ year old software interface for virtual instruments. On top of that you want to run a DAW inside it. Just think very carefully about what you're requesting. It's simply outlandish and impossible.

Here's what I suggest if you want to use Renoise with other DAWs in tandem:

1. If whatever other DAW you want to use with Renoise still supports ReWire, simply use that (since Renoise still supports it as well).

2. If you're using a Linux-based OS, Renoise reportedly works out of the box with pipewire so you can slave it to any other Linux DAW that also supports pipewire. Otherwise, the JACK Audio Connection Kit can sync two DAWs to its own transport (but only if said DAWs support JACK, which Renoise does).

3. If you're using REAPER and you just want tracker-like MIDI editing, use hackey-trackey or ReViSiT.

4. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

There is Renoise as vst and is called Redux.

5. Kerli Hare

Kerli Hare Newbie

Redux is just the sampler section of Renoise, but not a fully featured tracker. I'm not sure if that's what OP wants.

6. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

Redux isn't just a sampler.

[​IMG]

Instrument
    Redux is a sample-based instrument, combined with a powerful phrase sequencer. Enjoy the full-featured MIDI implementation and performance-friendly features, for the first time available outside of Renoise

Sequencer
    The sequencer in Redux is closely integrated with the instrument, and used to create musical phrases. These phrases are controlled via notes and program-change events, and allow you to alter the playback in a variety of ways.

Tracker Notation
    Redux has inherited and expanded upon a rich set of features from its bigger brother, Renoise, including techniques to trigger notes and control sample playback with surgical precision.

Dozens of DSP FX
    With a large selection of DSP effects and a quasi-modular system that allows devices to modulate one another, the sound design possibilities are almost endless.

7. Kerli Hare

Kerli Hare Newbie

Yes, I understand and am aware of its features, because I use it too.

My point is that Redux isn't Renoise.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Or Regroover, or Geist1, or Izotope Breaktweaker, Spectrasonics Stylus rmx, Logic 10.5 or later, on and on...

Did your old "Magic Tracker Workflow" result in any actual reason to want to go back to it? Few Grammys or something? Anything that cannot be done in a modern DAW? Of course not. You are chasing windmills.

9. Kerli Hare

Kerli Hare Newbie

Was that towards me or OP?

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

The OP, or I would have quoted your post. Actually we posted our replies both nearly within the same minute. :)