How Chorus Sounds so full

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by tbonesh, Jan 21, 2016.

1. tbonesh

tbonesh Newbie

what makes that chorus so full ? Is it the guitars, the saw synths?
    Curious to know your guys take on the snog. When you guys hear it do you hear any other similar songs with the sounds

3. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I don't know exactly what you're hearing there but..

Have you considered that it's not the chorus that is "so full" but the verses that are "very empty"?

Contrast.

4. Johnny Mach1ne

Johnny Mach1ne Ultrasonic

^your comment combined with your avatar picture makes this hilarious. But as he said, a lot of modern pop have very empty production in the verses which allows for a very clear and in your face vocal. Then the chorus comes in and the extra instruments/synths come back along with a lot of vocal layering.

5. SharkBait O-reily

SharkBait O-reily Kapellmeister

I'll take stab at this .. since I really do like productions like this...

what i think makes the chorus sound so full in particular is the way he created a nice backdrop sonically -- I hear a lot of moving pads, so I am thinking they are probably layered pads with slightly different timbres and different choruses, offset in tempo, to create that very thick texture.. together -- they amalgamate together quite wonderfully so that it paints quite a thick and eneveloping dynamically moving backdrop for the rest of the arrangement: the vocals, the water drop/snare, toms, which are less wet in reverb

the dry instruments sound quite in focus compared to the washed out instruments

oh and there is a very wet harp arpeggio in the background that serves nicely as texture and since it is repetitious, it doesn't overhwhelm melodically and serves more as advancement for the rhtyhm.

similar? just check out other Dr Luke productions, just browse his catalog until you find something similar.. Also, one republic also comes to mind.. this might be too far, but it also reminds me of Enya... hahah.. but that is world pop music!!

6. django

django Member

Kouros nailed it its contrast between the verse and chorus that makes it. Put that chorus in another song and it wouldn't feel that big.

There are automated dynamic changes and things like bringing the clap in in the hook as well as the extra layers, as well as her vocal going from small intimate almost speech into big belting vocal. Plus the notes rise up, which makes it feel big and epic, it's in the notes as well as the production.