How Change midi file preview sound in Ableton Live Browser

Discussion in 'PC' started by Nima, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

Can any one tell me how to Change midi file preview sound in Ableton Live Browser?

When You click to hear a midi file in "Live" Browser, a default sound plays the midi file, but I don't know where is this sound Proceeded from and How to change that. I could not find ant settings relative to this in the Options.
    I don't like the sound and I don't want to drag midi files on a track with a vst sound to preview the midi file every time.

Answered:
    I finally found an answer from abes on this. midi preview uses a soundfile that is a small sine wave (MidiPreHear.aif). In Live You can not change the sound.

My suggestion is to replace this audiofile with any sound file of your choice.
    the file is in live directory /resources/misc/MidiPreHear.aif

viewtopic.php?p=992473#p992473

I have posted this in the requests forum. If you want this feature please let abes know by responding to the request post.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147877

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I dont think u can change it, but if its possible, id also like to know.

4. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

Yeah i'd like to know it too, it pretty annoying.

5. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

I believe I asked this question before, and the overwhelming consensus was that it is not possible.... which sucks, especially when previewing a drum clip. You would think that option would be an absolute no brainer...

6. Evil_Burrito

Evil_Burrito Newbie

hmm, preset midi clips have previews. It is just a ghetto idea but, have you tried manually adding them to your live library folder instrument-presets? (I haven't tried this)

Also have tried searching/asking on the Ableton forums?

7. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

A midi clip preview is just a midi file played back through some virtual instrument, whereas instrument presets are saved setting and patches for various instruments, they are two different things. As far as I know a midi clip cannot have some embedded instrument preset instructions...

8. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

The point is that when You want to check a midi file content on the fly without moving it on your hard drive, to be able to preview that and when You want change the sound (Piano, Drum, Bass..)

9. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

I will ask Ableton and Suggest them the function as a Context menu by right clicking the midi file in the Browser and the choice to choose between minimum 6 Basic Instruments (Piano, Base, Drum, Percussion, String, Brass)

10. Willum

Willum Rock Star

If you had just googled "Change midi file preview sound in Ableton" you would have had all the answers you required from the 3rd item down. Already been discussed in the ableton forum and answered by an ableton employee.

Doesn't anybody try and find their own answers to questions anymore or do they just expect someone else to do everything for them, jeez.

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

in other hosts the midi file is previewed by the selected track/vsti. no special 6 sounds or whatever :wink:

I know I can audition drum midi with ezplayer and use any drums (NI Studio Drummer)

Or you could use this....

EZ Keys

* I swear I dont work for toontrack :dunno:

12. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

Dear willum,

be sure that Searching google is easier than writing in the forum. So i searched google befor but found nothing.

13. Evil_Burrito

Evil_Burrito Newbie

(old thread, I know)

Ah, I am glad you found the answer. Thanks for sharing.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

15. jg2m589

jg2m589 Newbie

ahhh, you can drag the MidiPreHear.adv simpler device from the App-Resources->Misc folder into a midi channel, then tweak the ADSR envelopes and whatnot to at least make it less harsh and avoid clipping in chords. Probably best to stick with a straight sine wave but sure you could load in any waveform. Also tried to create an identical device using operator but it wouldn't take when copying. still better than it was! Off to do the same with that metronome..