how can i recreate this song (extremely difficult level)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by KUSHSMOKERLIT, Sep 7, 2023.

1. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

there's alot of talented people here i know ni massive has been used to create this song it's from 2013 so im sure people here can recreate it the first bass seems to use the scream filter of massive but i havent figured out how to make it sound exactly like in the song the chords i have no idea which they are i just now it in f# minor if someone could elaborate on how to make this song i would really appreciate it thanks

3. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

Hmm that not really it but consider that FM8 was also a lot used back in the days, some Skrillex style bass can be made with it wich sound like this

but yeah i can't really help you there it does sounds that the scream filter is on yeah

4. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

Thanks for answering but it doesnt even sound close to what i want to recreate the basses are totally different from the bass of the tutorial

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Run a bunch of N.I Massive bass presets through Ohmicide. Make/export a bunch of one-shots out of these in the note of F# (and the 4th/B and 7th/E). Trigger with sampler (or cut and paste on the timeline) to taste.

It's not "extremely difficult level" if you know how to do it (sometimes selecting one-shots by chance).

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

you said it it's not extremely difficult if you know how to do it but if you don't know how to do it then it is extremely difficult which kind of sound design would i have to do to obtain those sounds? i always sound so cold and sterile with massive i cant even describe it please help

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Experiment primarily with 1) messing with various wavetables (at different octaves) and 2) assigning a few envelopes to wavetable position (Wt-position in Massive and WT-POS in Serum) and 3) asigning envelopes or LFOs to filter cutoff (and experiment with different filter types).

Running things through a multiband distortion unit like Ohmicide (or Fabfilter Saturn2) will usually make anything wavetable'y sound less "cold and sterile". Hail the lord distortion, the mighty destroyer of sterile!
    Edit: to make sounds sound even more "complex" you can stack/layer sounds, from 2 to ~6 sounds (and you can filter each layer to make them all play different parts in creating one/1 sound).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

just to add to the NI product speculations, between Massive and FM8; if you listen to some of the tiny little edits which are overlayed, and the little pluck bass glitch thing at around 33sec; there are little "vinyl spinback", motor stop sounds, and other assorted types of tiny sound effects happening that sound like they came from Tim Exile's keymasher in Reaktor.

9. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I don't know how realize exactly those sounds, but key is starting with Amaj and modulating back and forth to F#min (relative minor key).
    Not going into much detail, chords are something like
    A, Aaug, F#min(1th inversion), A7(dominant - no 5th), D(2th inversion), Dmin(2th inversion) and then it repeats all over again.