How can I recreate the brass synth from Spandau Ballet's True with the Arturia V Collection?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by MokuseiFolf13, Feb 25, 2023.

1. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Basically after narrowing down the sound to that of the Rhodes Chroma ARP synth, by instinct I'd look up any copy-cat Chroma synths for mac that are in the AU format-- all that junk. Then realizing how vast and versatile the Arturia V collection (specifically 9) is, I figured I'd ask the synth gurus over here which of the many synths included I should use to recreate or at least closely imitate the brass synth used from the beginning and throughout Spandau Ballet's own True. Any and all advice and info, maybe even patches can be offered if you'd like of course-- all of it is greatly appreciated! <3

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I think you can get pretty close with a sine, couple of voices or chorus, a bit of attack and decay and a lowpass envelope that opens up the filter a bit.

Here's an attempt in Vital:

Attached Files:

4. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Thank you! I'll play around with these

5. Blu

Blu Producer

A sine only contain the fundamental and no harmonics so filter only acts as a volume envelope with a sine given that it doesn't filter anything than the fundamental. You example contains some harmonics so it shouldn't be a simple sine. Am I missing something? Not a critic, just curious

6. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

You are right! I assumed mathematically perfect sines were not available at the time, so I used a saturated, imperfect sine (should be included in the Vital patch).

upload_2023-2-28_12-25-41.png

upload_2023-2-28_12-30-11.png