HOW CAN I MAKE THESE GUITARS SOUNDS

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Aris Mckalph, Jun 12, 2016.

?

How to make this sound?

1. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Like this maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aris Mckalph

Aris Mckalph Newbie

Hi guys..I love these guitars sounds in this track...Does anyone know how do this kind of guitar sound?

3. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

It just sounds like a an arpeggiated guitar (prbbably a Strat), with a medium amount of chorus, delay, and a quite a bit of reverb.

4. Aris Mckalph

Aris Mckalph Newbie

You are the best man!Thank you a lot

5. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

I'd be surprised if that is real guitar. It sounds like keyboard guitar to me. Those opening notes are harmonics. The signal chain goes Chorus effect, amplifier/cabinet effect, quarter-note delays, then reverb. There is a little pitch wheel bending. Classic clean stratocaster tone.

6. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Yea, that's what i thought as soon as i hit play. Dance music with real guitars? it's rare but i guess it does happen.

7. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

I TOTALLY DON'T THINK IT IS STEVE FAOKI.

8. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

If you want real guitars, find a real guitarist. Period. It's not as easy as everyone thinks.

9. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Impeccable room, Fender Twin, 414 pair, Neve desk, high voltage outboard, $3,000 guitar and session guitarist, talented mixer.

Or, just use a really good KONTAKT instrument with TH2 to get....*cough*.....close.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. It sounds just like a Cold Play cover band to me playing one of their songs that I'm not familiar with. A real guitar makes sense. It got dancing in my sheets while helping me, motivating me to finally get up and walk a couple of dogs that are eyeballing me this mushy Sunday morning in Basel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

There was some Baritone/Hans Zimmer guitar patch in Omnisphere that would sound like this.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  12. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Most deffinitely a real guitar. Clean Strat, little rev, little comp, tiny bit of pre-gain overdriven. Then theres a more overdriven staccato thingy which could be emulated, though it sounds real to me. :winker:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

Hmmm, sounds like my old strat with a stereo chorus and the amp's delay, in the beginning...but then it gets played as if it's connected to a piano patch, so I'm suspecting that's a patch. I play alot with multis in Kontakt.

Later in the song when the guitar is strumming with a hand damping the strings, that's a really good emulation (I play some kontakt guitar patches that have that, but it gets tedious real fast, and I just think, fk it, might as well just play it on guitar), or a guy strumming with a hand damping the strings...

The "drums" are definitely "fake" (well the kick ain't an acoustic kick), the bass is digital too...I hear the "noise" added to the "snare" so that's digital, the kinda pluck that cres. @2:06 is digital, strings I'd bet is a patch, cause real strings vary their sound during sustains (not just vibrato but dynamics) and attacks are invariant too...

The guitar solo (@1:30) I first thought was a real guitar due to it's many articulations, but there's no finger sliding on string sounds* at all, which I find impossible...(I can "see" what I'd have to do with my hands to make those articulations) then again, @2:33 the guitar strums are easy to do irl (and fun), but I've heard patches really close to that...and they sound processed hard there. @3:19 the guitar solo also has NO fingers on string sounds as well, which makes me think that's a patch, or magic fingers...

At the same time, I haven't played electric guitar in 12 years...acoustic 3 years ago, latest 1 year ago a little bit, I'm bringing it up from the basement now...

All this guitar listening makes me want to play my lost stomp boxes, electric guitar/amps...tyvm wifie.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    *exaggerated example on an acoustic of the sounds I mean, right at the beginning:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  14. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

a gate was used most likely.
    Some engineers also like to strip the take of such fingerslip sounds for dynamic purposes. I've seen it over and over.
    I checked allmusic for the credits but due to bla bla bla they can not be displayed, helas.
    Listened to the track in HD on the headphones and my big boys, guitars are all real as far as I can tell. :) Love the clip, don't like the track much but thats me. Cheers.

15. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

@artwerkski Ok, that would suck if you can so easily remove those string slides with gating (I'm gonna try that on Puth boy up there)...is that the same idea as when they completely remove breaths and it sounds unnatural?

16. Like I said before, these are real guitars but are chopped up and used at the artist's whim. That is why I think that they sound to your ear like patches. Also, cudos for bringing up a guitar or two from the cellar. Those babies are meant to be played and are not to be stored away in a time capsule from what seems to be a previous life of your's. Put on some new strings, give them time to become reacquainted with you again in a way to show them the love that they deserve...it goes both ways, though it is easy for guitars, they don't think, they only react.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  17. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@jeffglobal absolutely! Thats exactly the same proccess. And as @superliquidsunshine says, it's because they're plastered all over the place,
    and probably have been taken out of context, maybe even inherrited from the demo version of the track, they do sound like 'patches' and even plastic to me but they're the real thing. I love guitars, I love emulated guitars.
    Yeah theres a cult amongst engineers to clean shit up to the point where it loses its life. I try to stay away from it but some clients do insist. :) cheers guys!

18. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

[​IMG]