How can I install a Native Instruments library on an external drive?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by krameri, Jan 2, 2024.

1. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

How can I install a Native Instruments-branded library on an external drive? I searched for this both here and using Google and I always see references to Native Access, which I don't think will help me since I'm using cracked Kontakt. I have a few NI libraries and don't want them on my internal drive because it's just 500GB and some of these libraries are large.

I have an external drive set aside for Kontakt libraries and I have several on it, but these NI libraries use installers and it says I can't install it on a drive without my OS on it. I'm using a Mac by the way. Thanks in advance!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

4. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

Maybe just move them there after install?

5. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I just change the install folder or move them before adding with the library utility (vkDanilov portable is the best version of Kontakt IMO.)
    You could also move them and make a symlink to the original location if you want existing projects to find regular .nki instruments.

I couldn't live without LinkShellExtension. It makes sample library organization far easier.

6. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Thank you. I have both of those and use them frequently. I don't think KLU or Add Library can handle *.pkg files, though. See below. This is the installer I'm talking about:
    upload_2024-1-1_21-22-55.png

7. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Thank you, but those appear to be Windows apps.

8. Joe Taco

Joe Taco Member

You can without any third party software move your library to your external HD. You have to set it in Native Access, Preferences, File Management and move it there. Your main applications however, Kontact, Battery, ect. as well as any effects I believe have to reside in your main drive Applications folder. In my case, it’s about 6 gig or so, the rest, about 800 GB, on an external drive. I have KOMPLETE 12 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition running along side a few strays with no problems..

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

hey @krameri , you are getting some crazy responses here. How big is the version of this which you downloaded? 20 gigabytes, or 5gb? One version was a repack with only the close-mic samples. To "minify" it.

pkg files are "package" installers for Mac, and you run them like any program.

This quote is from Google: "The Introduction screen indicates the target location for the installation, which you can change later in the install process."

Do you have Homebrew installed already?

Any time you want to take apart a Mac application installer, you can either right click and do show Package Contents;

Or you can use Pacifist. It is a "serious Mac user" tool, and you will usually see more advanced users comment about it. You could buy a license or find a full version. It only has a "nag screen" protection anyway.

https://www.charlessoft.com

Pacifist is a powerful multi-tool for working with macOS package files, disk images, and file archives. Using Pacifist, you can:

• open a wide variety of file archives, including:
        • macOS .pkg package files,
        • .dmg disk images,
        • macOS asset catalogs,
        • Mac OS 9 Installer Tome files, and
        • .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .xar, and .yaa archives,
      • examine and extract individual files and folders,
      • inspect install scripts and other package resources to make sure that a package is trustworthy before installing it,
      • analyze existing installations on your system, to help you determine who installed a particular file on your system,
      • view archive contents straight from the Finder via QuickLook,
      • view and extract files from archives via your choice of a slick GUI or an automation-friendly command-line interface, and even
      • inspect the contents of .zip files (and other supported types) over the Web without downloading the entire archive first.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  10. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Hey Clone! The unpacked library is 29GB. I've got Pacifist, it's very useful. After some time, I stumbled upon my own method of doing this task. I found where the installer puts the libraries and that was the key. So I installed my NI libraries, then found the install directory which even contains a *.nicnt file, copied the directories to my Kontakt drive. I had to use KLU to uninstall and reinstall, but it works.