How can I get the same synth sound please ?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by DoABarrelRoll, Jun 22, 2012.

1. DoABarrelRoll

DoABarrelRoll Newbie

Hello everybody,

I fell in love with the main lead sound from this song, it sounds to me like the ultimate synth I've been waiting for, and I really don't know where to find a similar preset or how to recreate the same wave.

See attachment or use this zippy mirror pls.
    (26 seconds, the sound is played all along this extract)

As you can hear, it's impossible to sample the wave properly because several notes are played at the same time... I'm not trying to copy the sequenced sound, it's all about the wave itself, I just don't know what oscillators give this result (I've tried with detuned pulses but I can never get the same sound).

Have you guys heard a preset in any synth that comes close enough ?

Thanks a lot to all of you readers !

Attached Files:

3. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

man this is awesome so unique, so never ever before heard sound. totally cool - br0! give hoof!

4. virusg

virusg Rock Star

sylenth do that very easy ...2 simple square waves easily detuned ...i thought u would ask for something hard but this is so so so easy to do ... :snuffy:

5. DoABarrelRoll

DoABarrelRoll Newbie

Thanks for your anwser, but... have you tried ? With detuned square waves all I get is a kind of oversimplified version of the sound, as close as a GameBoy piano from a Steinway D.

I agree that it seems very simple to do, but when you try it's not.

6. virusg

virusg Rock Star

try this http://www.sendspace.com/file/c721ht ...hope it helps :grooves:

7. DoABarrelRoll

DoABarrelRoll Newbie

Thank you, but the Sylenth preset hasn't been saved, it loads the default Arp 303 Saw preset instead. I'm a Cubase user, could you save the Sylenth preset alone please ?

8. virusg

virusg Rock Star

here http://www.sendspace.com/file/j5roy0

9. DoABarrelRoll

DoABarrelRoll Newbie

It's a really good first step, but maybe you've underestimated the complexity of the sound : some very important characteristics are missing here (can do it for cheap computer speakers, agreed). This sound is definitely not only composed of square waves : the low-mid and low tones have nothing in common (the original low tones do not have this bouncy attack the square waves produce), and the high frequencies do not sound like this. The thing I like the most in this sound is the vocal sounding harmonics between 450 and 750Hz (which is what reminds me of the Roland pizzicato btw), and they aren't reproduced by the square waves neither. Thanks a lot anyway, I really appreciate your help.

10. virusg

virusg Rock Star

indeed its not the same but its a start.... u can delete the low notes ...sounds more as the original ...i added them just for fun ...and if ure looking for the exact same sound then i and any pro would not be able to do it the same. ...keep in mind that the track then it was mastered ...so again modified ... u can try one triangle wave and one square ...or 2 triangles ...u can experiment too ...with chorus and detune buttons ...like i said if ure looking for the exact same sound u should mail the artist and ask for the patch ...i tried to help but looks like i failed ...next time ask for the exact same sound in your first post so i dont waste my time ...good luck ... :dunno:

11. DoABarrelRoll

DoABarrelRoll Newbie

OK, that's right, my bad : I should have posted my own try first.

Here is a comparison between my remake of the sound and the original (see attached file).
    (please do not pay attention to the rhythm, I'm not trying to stay close from the original one)

What I'm trying to do is to get closer than what you hear here. A lot of things are wrong in my patch and I'm starting to be clueless about what needs to be changed. I can hear there's something wrong with the detune (the original one doesn't sound like a uniform detune, seems like only one oscillator is out of tune but I can't figure which one), and the mid-low frequencies do not match. And my notes are probably longer than the original ones.

So far here's what I've done :
    [Ana = main layer]
    Osc 1 Pulse Detune Oct +1
    Osc 2 Pulse Detune
    Osc 3 Strings Noise
    Osc 4 Pizz Shaper

[Gladiator = bass layer]
    Pizz preset, slightly modified

Of course EQ, comp, reverb...

Sorry that I didn't post it earlier. I'm a perfectionist and I'm trying to reproduce some "magic" characteristics of this sound, and I simply can't find what I have to do...

PS : forgot to answer about something. This track is not released yet, it's an extract of a promo single signed to a major coming from a platform for deejays and producers. I've searched for informations about the artist+remixer and found strictly nothing, so I'm afraid I can't email him for the moment. Anybody here as ever heard of a remixer named "Jayce" ?

Attached Files:

12. BHK Samples

BHK Samples Newbie

imo you got that sound, shape the sound just with a EQ now , cut lows, push the mids, look for the sweet points ;)

13. DoABarrelRoll

DoABarrelRoll Newbie

Thanks a lot for your answer. You're right about the mid frequencies, I've just tried a simple global emphasis and it's way better. I've notched so many frequencies to remove the unwanted harmonics that I was starting to be lost on what EQ direction I should take.

What is the most frustrating about it is that I know that most of us use presets, so I'm convinced that a synth has this exact patch and that I'm working for nothing (I've found yesterday that a patch from IL Harmor sounds strangely close)... :D