How can I get from A to B , In this circumstance ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by bymastermind, Apr 24, 2015.

1. bymastermind

bymastermind Newbie

Hello to all who have taken the time to read this post.

I'm a music producer, I use FL 11 but have experience with most daw's, such as Logic, Reason & pro tools. I make a lot of Bass heavy music with light and heavy synths ranging from hip hop trap to house and grime.
    I use yamaha hs80 Monitors to mix my music, But I have trouble keeping things consistent as I tend to use such a wide range of sounds.
    I got alot of experience mixing using a terrible hi fi, With the mind set of get it sounding as good as possible.
    Since then ive been fortunate and have upgraded to better equipment, but over time I have reverted back to windows and now I dont have the previous hifi.
    my yamaha hs80s are superb for listening but i find they are too clear and I find it hard to get in depth and accurate to the sound I was able to get through the poor speakers.

I have used this forum and audioz for a few years quietly, reading but not speaking so thought I may aswell post something, & finally start interacting.
    I now have a lot of opportunity's music wise to get my music in places and potential to work with some really good artists, But my mixes are each lacking something,
    wether it be a bad kick / bass in one mix, or tinny synths in another, and even if this doesnt happen the mix as a whole just isnt quite what im looking for

I may just be comparing my raw songs to too many full mixed tracks as reference, but when i listen to my old songs they really knock the speakers compared to my new stuff.
    I guess i am either looking for someone who may be willing to take a look at my music and work with me in terms of a mix engineer in return for a share of my opportunity's etc.

Also some pointers for where maybe to look or start.
    I can make good raw tunes but i used to be able to open my music up with eq and processing , now whatever i do it sounds terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxlzcPO6h5I

I produced the instrumental to this song, If you listen and compare it to this :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWd3ErKJqjw

Hopefully you can advise ?

Just message or email me,
    [email protected]

Thanks if you make it to the end of this !

3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

I recon You are beeing to hard on yourself.
    You might just need to play more of your tracks to more people and get a sence of how they react when listning to your music.

Be in the same room as them helps alot. They dont have to actually have to tell you in words how they think it sounds. you can see peoples reaction. are the tapping your thier foot, or drumming with thier fingers, or something along those lines. watch thir bodylanguage.

To me those 2 tracks sounds more or less in the same ballpark "sound qualitywise" - the big difference is 1 has a synthline playing, and the other track doesnt have much else than the rythm. the synth line takes away from the 808 bassline and that is what i feel is the big difference in why those 2 tracks are so "different sounding"

track 1 sounds like someone has spend alot of effort on EQing alone vs track 2.

i dont know your process, but maybe you just need to change it a little. expanding with another step before your track is "finnished"

another thing. You might not think this is your "killa track" that you had hoped for. what you like today you might not like tomorrow.dont stress yourself too much! you just keep at it, creating tracks,finnishing tracks. You will get a lil better with each one of them you complete.

for each track you complete you get 1 step closer in finding "yoursound". its a journey.

practice practice.

Hope this helps.

4. bymastermind

bymastermind Newbie

Thank you very much for your reply, With this being my first post, I quickly realized I overdid it somewhat.
    I did spend a lot of time eq'ing. I guess I just rush too much mentally, constantly drooling over the "imagined" finished product and not focusing on the a-b.
    I know the sound I'm looking for is achievable with my tools, Its just getting their.
    I just get frustrated.

Either way thankyou for your reply my friend :wink: :wink: :wink: