How can I find kontakt library in an old project?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by webhead, May 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

So, in last years I had Kontakt 5 and I usually use Kontakt 8 out.dll for every intance of it. You know Kontakt is not using 8 out and 16 out versions anymore after v5.7.0

Today I wanted to open an old project. As you can guess it couldn't load it succesfully, because I don't have kontakt 5 8out.dll anymore. So I can't see which kontakt library I have used in that project. If I know, I can reload it but I don't know what to do.

Is there a way to learn which library I used before, or I have to reinstall kontakt 5? I already tried to rename the .dll file I got. It didn't help.

[​IMG]

//I also found out that I can't fix the thread title. Excuse me about that.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

You may want to finish writing the title of your thread..

4. Perhaps he meant 'noun'.

5. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

I would love to finish it if you can tell me how

6. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@webhead Go to 'Thread Tools' up top right; Edit Title.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Smoove Grooves

@webhead My Kontakt 5.8.1 has all the multi-output options...

8. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

@Smoove Grooves thanks for help although you draw a longer path about thread title :)
    And now I got just Kontakt 6. So I guess reinstalling the old Kontakt is the only solution for that.

9. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

You can try opening the project file into an editor (notepad, hex editor,...) and search for kontakt.
    With FL Studio projects that works like a charm. I for example updated some projects with a Hex editor
    by changing a number in the used plugins names (like pianoteq 5.dll -> pianoteq 6.dll) to get them to work
    with the updated plugin & without the need to load the projects into FL Studio and replacing the plugins there.

I also use that method on old projects where the used samples can't be found.
    I then just change the paths to my current sample folder and the edited projects load up like before.

Don't know if that works with your projects but if you want, you can send one of the files via PM and I'll try.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    I'm sorry your session's f*cked up mate, but let that be a lesson to us all to take proper session notes.
    i hope you can recover your work.
    :yes:

11. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

WOW r4e, I didn't know that and will try it!
    I've installed a couple of old things perhaps i needn't have, but this is a great thing to try from now on!
    Wow...looking at a few I have new respect for those who write these programs.
    I'd vaguely considered how DAWs store the parameters of so much, but had not realized...
    It's a tiny bit more "real" to me now !

12. Smoove Grooves

But this is false...

13. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

I see that Smoove Groove already explained to you and it's done :wink:

14. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Thank you very much @r4e
    I could use a hex editor and found the "kontakt 8 out.dll" Then opened a new project file which has kontakt 6. I think I succesfully match them and changed the words but I can't open it on Studio One. It said, that file must be broken.

Unfortunately I had to install old Kontakt 5 and now I can open my project files as I wanted. @scrappy thank you very much for your words. As I can see as a lesson:
    Do not update your plugins if you don't need to, or at least finish your unfinished projects. Or use stems if you are sure about a track.
    From now on, I won't update my plugins at every opportunity. I'm gonna do it with a plan.

15. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Ye, you always have to keep in mind, that you don't change the length of a word when editing a file in a hex editor.
    Otherwise chances are big that you break the file.

Means when you open the project to edit and it says somewhere "kontakt 8 out.dll", you can't change it to "kontakt 6.dll"
    and just delete the remaining letters "out", you instead have to change the "8" to a "6", the " out" to a ".dll" and then you fill
    the rest with zero bytes.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Little Info:
    FL writes a 7 behind the plugin name, an 8 behind the plugin path & a 5 behind the vendors name
    [​IMG]

So I have to change the name of the plugin in the "decoded text" area + write the number (set by FL)
    and then I go to the "hex" area and fill/replace the remaining bytes with 00 (which looks like a dot in the text area).
    That also means, this method doesn't work when the new plugin name is longer than the old one, cause you would
    have to add some letters, which corrupts the file in most cases and if you do this to sample paths, the new path also
    have to be shorter in letters.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

funny, i asked myself a similar question. i hope OP doesn't mind me asking that, but i think it fits the topic pretty good especially after r4e threw fl studio in.
    @r4e does this also work with Paths of Kontakt Libraries within an old .flp? Within the last days, i started working on a few older projects. the .flp was made on another machine, kontakt libraries are at different locations. Let's say old: F:\My Vsts, new D:\Kontakt. I added the samples, acapella folders and drum folders to fl and its finding them pretty well, but for the kontakt patches it always assumes most of them on the old library paths. for the most (non updated ones) it's not a big problem, i can point to the path and it's finding them, but what's a bit annoying is, that if i used different patches of the same library, it keeps asking for every single patch location instead of remembering "ahh alright that was on D:\Kontakt\... now.
    The Question is, isn't there a way to tell kontakt like i can with fl - hey homie the location isn't F: bla bla anymore, it's D:\Kontakt now?
    If not, it's not a big deal, but it's just annoying pointing 15 patches to a new location when you point all of them to the same location. sorry, i don't understand much of that, i tried opening a .flp within notepad ++ and it's just weird signs, but maybe a hexeditor is another different thing.
    sorry for the dumb questions and thanks in advance :)

17. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

If you want, you can send me one of the files so I can take a look if I can change the paths for you.

18. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

thank you, i could do that, would be very nice of you, but it was more just a question if you know it. in the end I'm not sure if editing the files would be a bigger timesaver than actually just repointing to the new path which takes me maybe 2-5 minutes to open the project and then save the flp again.
    but if you want to invest your time by trying it, of course i'll send you a file :)

19. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

I just would try if I can help you there. Have no project with kontakt here to test as I almost never used Kontakt for music production.
    When it works, I can show you how. For now I don't even know where to start.

20. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

alright, thanks so far, i'll get at you via pm :)

21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

What a master you're @r4e :beg:
    I don't forget you were the first to give a totally clean solution to the newer Kontakt versions after R2R stopped to release them.