(House Beat) drums tuning, notes ,scales , Books etc.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Charles7, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Charles7

Charles7 Newbie

Hello
    i`m searching for some books or technique for tuning the drums.
    For example : if the Kick is on ( G1 - 49.00Hz ) ,what note should be Hihat, snare ,clap etc. how can i orient to make my drum beats sound harmoniously together.
    Please help me with this problem
    Thank you very much

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I am not 100% sure of what I am going to write, so please do your research to confirm. First of all, make sure the kick is hitting the root note of your song - or a 5th if the root is too low - your G1 at 50Hz is low in my opinion. If you don't know your root key, you have a reverse scale finder here [ http://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php ]. After you have the kick right (it will clash with some notes in your bass lines, but you can use a little bit of eq and side-chain compression to solve the issue) you move to the snare: a 5th from the note of the kick. And you can tune the toms in 5ht and 7th but I guess depends a lot in what you actually want to achieve in your mix. However, the longer a percussion sound, the more need to tune it. Good luck!

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Lol. I actually thought you meant "tuning real drums", which I know since I've been a drummer for the most part of my life. Anyways...

The only rule is that there are no rules.

Also, most kicks (except 808 sine kicks and similar) have pitch envelopes, with somewhat varying bumps/dips in the frequency spectrum. On top of that there are transients, mid-umphs, room ambiences, etc.

Snares doesn't have to be narrow boosted at exacty 200Hz and highshelving-boosted at 3kHz. Kicks doesn't always have to be bell-cut at around 400Hz and lowcut at 30Hz. Basses doesn't always need a boost at around 100Hz.

My advice would be to read up as much as you can, then forget about it and trust your ears. Sure, to have a good mix every sound/instrument "needs its own chair", but it's your job to pick and place those chairs.

5. lowpass

lowpass Newbie

baxter: still that disturbing avatar,,,suxxx. Besides that: It is always good to keep everything in tune. Even the Hihats. Snares can go really deep, depending on which music you're in. Use Voxengo Spam to check it out (edit the blocksize to 16384 at least)...and don't forget: stayinig in tune doesn't mean to be necessarily stay in the key. Fifths or so may work as well..or even better