homerecording on a budget // PC recomendations

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by deathroit, Feb 28, 2023.

1. deathroit

deathroit Member

hello world,
    for the last few years I have been working on AMD FX8320 + 16GB DDR + GTX 950 2GB DDR5 but I would like to change to something modern. The limit is the budget, so I'm thinking about the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G.
    Do any of you have experience with this processor? Are 6 cores enough?
    What is your opinion about the APU? Or maybe it's better to choose a 5600 (without G) with a larger cache and use the old GTX 950 (I'm not going to play games etc.) instead of the integrated Vega 7?

The computer is supposed to be designed for home recording: I use a lot of ampsim, resource-hungry BFD3, iZotope stuff.
    The current configuration is definitely not enough.

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

since you already have GTX 950, buying 5600G with integrated graphics is waste of money imo,
    sure 6 cores 12 threads are totally enough for audio work nowadays (unless you go really big virtual instrument projects),

Ryzen 5600 or 5500 are great budget choices (if you want to stay with AMD), they use DDR4 ram which is going really cheap nowadays too (since everyone is obsessed with new DDR5), pick 32GB ram kit if budget allows, it'll be worth it

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. deathroit

deathroit Member

Despite having a separate graphics card, I decided to 5600g.
    I will see which configuration will be more stable with lower latency.
    According to benchmarks, the difference between 5600x and 5600g is negligible, I prefer to have an alternative option in the form of integrated graphics.

If I submit, I will post the results with lateencymon.
    Thanks for the answer

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

fingers crossed for great results!
    you'll want lower DPC latency, and so you'll have to decide which graphics driver - nVidia or AMD, will be less bloated, also keep in mind integrated graphics will eat some RAM from the system for its video memory, so that may or may not negatively impact RAM performance/latency too
    :winker:

6. deathroit

deathroit Member

Thanks!

So far I've used NVCleanstall to install the NVidia drivers. We'll see how it looks on the integrated card.

I'll be sure to post some results