Homebuild DAW PC's?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Spiritos, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Spiritos

Spiritos Noisemaker

Well depends, even A+ components can have compatibility issues and lead to unaccpetable DPC latency. For a DAW stability and low PDC is even more important than speed. If going turbo means you have DPC spikes and audio dropouts your PC as as a DAW is worthless.

2. AESimard

AESimard Newbie

Hello again.

Here is an interesting article since you are looking at an SSD solution - you may even want to look at 32G of RAM and reduce paging size to the minimum and on a different drive than the SSD.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-ram-endurance,3475.html

3. Spiritos

Spiritos Noisemaker

Thanks for the link!
    I did some reading already on the paging file question. There are different school of thoughts about it.
    Personally I'll be choosing to place it on a second disk but let Win7 decide the size of it. It seems messing with it can still cause troubles and the automated feature is stable enough not to cause any performance loss.

The benchmark in the link however is about 1 SSD. I plan on having 1 SSD for OS + DAW, 1 HDD for samples and 1 HDD for audio so I won't be doing much writing to the SSD anyway.
    I'm even thinking about moving the scratch disk plus the temp folder to the second HDD to minimize the number of writecycles.

Although you can never have too much RAM I think 16 GB will do fine for me. Maybe if working with Kontakt will eat up my memory in future projects I'll decide to double it but I need to be saving some cash first ;)