Home Security System Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef, Nov 8, 2015.

1. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

Looking into some home and studio security system recommendations. Id like door/window open/close sensors, cameras are a plus, being able to view while mobile (phone or computer) is a plus (and a minus). We have a dog, we have self defense means, but we would like something to see whats going on. Someone trips a sensor and we can go to a monitor and see whats happening in 'zone 1'.

We dont need it to be monitored by adt or some shit. We can handle it properly, but just being able to see outside fully while inside is a plus or see things when we arent home.

I like the idea of canary, but feel it is VERY limited. You would need 4 units to cover a real house, and at that it has no window/door sensors. Piper was awfully rated. I dont want to run wires for a traditional system, but will do what is needed. I dont want to drop big bucks on it but with black friday coming to us greedy shit-faced US consumers, itd be a great time to buy one heavily discounted.

Suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. ned944

ned944 Moderator

4. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

I can't talk about sensors because they were already installed when I moved in to my new place. I just had Rogers come and incorporate them in their Smart Home system.

For cameras I'm looking at IP cameras since they transmit video over wifi and only need power. Basically the camera hardware (within a similar price range) is the same between all brands, what you need is one with a good/reliable user interface - which is what I'm currently looking for.

5. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Most of my security systems are a mixture of pro and consumer units from Swann and other sources. I use both wired and wireless cams, some external with infra-red (e.g. Swann NightOwl) whilst others are tiny, inconspicious indoor cams. To make it easier to review recording off the cams, The DV recorder that I use can do motion sensing. That way, the recorder only fires up when it thinks there something happening. Unfortunately, it thinks raindrops are fascinating. So, whenever it p**ses down with rain, the DVR calls my mobile to show me that I probably won't need to water the garden today.

Yep, I also have pressure pads in strategic places and hall effect sensors on windows and doors. I added them just because I could but, in all honesty, for my needs the motion sensing on the cctv cams kinda makes them redundant.

6. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

@fader, your system sounds like what im looking for (save for the raindrop recording). Only recording when motion is sensed and a notice sent to my phone or something would be very useful.

7. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

can someone explain what is this thread about?

i read security and sensors, first thing comes in mind 007 and action movies & shit like that :rofl:

would love to get a real answer ? why all this security what are you trying to protect this much ?

8. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

basically the guy is paranoid that his musician friends are going to rob his midi keyboard , his hackintosh and cheap monitor speakers, or he wants to protect all his stolen software from audioz.eu

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Swann[dot]com has an online solution finder, which you might like to take a peek at. Gives you an idea of what's available. I just happened to get lucky with some "last in stock deals" at my local bricks & mortar stores that stocked Swann gear but I'm happy with it. Hate it when the kit records me entering or leaving the crib. You think videoing raindrops is bad - just wait until your kit decides to film your own ass. It's disturbing. :woot:

10. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

I imagine that "light barrier sensors" would be a good option.
    But I don't know about their costs!

INFO
    @ http://www.vishay.com/videos/optoelectronics/safety-light-barriers-and-your-garage-door
    @ http://www.baumer.com/us-en/product...treflecttm-light-barriers-without-reflectors/
    @ http://www.vishay.com/videos/optoelectronics/proximity-and-gesture-sensor-demo-kit
    @ http://proxitron.de/en/light-barrier/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  11. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Is this enough for you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Wow! Just add a couple of laser-guided 50cal machinegun turrets and you've got a customer! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

Mmmm. So you havent seen real studio equipment then, or believe every person here is some noob EDM head teen living in the woods on 300 acres. And also the thread title is 'Home' security. Maybe i have a family, a young child, valuable possessions, and others that id prefer protecting. Maybe its an area rife with break-ins. I think all these are great reasons for home security.

I have vintage studio racks, expensive mic setups, no BS hackintosh (a real Mac Pro 12 core, 128GB ram, SSD in each sled), mixers, cables, custom shop guitars, discountinued acoustics, basses, amps, etc. Say not anything of the variety of film equipment. Again, for the value of the equipment i feel it is worth a couple hundred bucks to protect with some sensors/motion monitors.

I find your comment insulting. Maybe i just had a break-in? you dont know the situation, but a softer approach that is trying to assist rather than downplay my possessions/family and calling me paranoid. Not appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

That, though not a security system, is still really cool. I saw the guy who designed some out in arizona or whatever. Bought out abandoned missile silos and wanted to convert them into doomsday bunkers, asking $1 million per ~1000 sqft living arrangement and there was like 20 arrangements. Now that is selling fear, but in the case of SHTF, youll be pretty well off.

@MrLyannMusic:

Family, valuables, in an area that people break in when you arent there. Atleast youll catch their faces and get them arrested. But also there is a lot of bear, wolf and coyotes and with a young child and pets and family id like to know when we go outside there isnt a bear waiting for us. Atleast then ill know to bring the 12 gauge.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  16. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

audiosex.pro is the website, not " ineedloadsagunscoziwasrobbedlastweek.com"

look elsewhere

17. BigEmptySky

BigEmptySky Member

I totally understand you, completely. I wouldn't appreciate fucking shithead comments either.

Many years ago the Mrs. and I had a break-in and it wasn't pleasant. Thankfully we were not at home. After much BS insurance covered all but a few things (but irreplaceable things never get replaced). Fuckers missed all my musical gear though (stupid fucks) thank the universe for stupidity.

We have 2 fully trained German Shepherd's. When I say fully trained I mean it. German commands, protection trained etc. Most people are scared of German Shepherds big time. It's very amusing to walk them down the street and people literally cross the street and a city block later cross back over. Yet they are great in public and very safe with kids. But I'll tell you when we've needed them they have produced results.

We don't live in a "nice" area, used to be real nice when we bought the place (back in July 1990) but now...

I love the silo above and yes, I'd love a few 50 cals turrets on it too!!!

Good luck with your search.

Cheers

18. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

This is a valid question. I have 10s of thousands worth of gear, and am interested to hear about how others protect their investment.

Now, it's different if 'you' own a shitty focusrite audio interface, and maybe a novation USB keyboard. :-/

19. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

When you deal with urban artists like I do and have a growing clientele you can't be too careful. Two general tips is to restrict the size of the "posse" the artist is allowed to bring and tell them to turn off Geotagging on Instagram and whatever else. Last thing you want online is a detailed list of gear with an address for where to get it.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  20. GreggyG

GreggyG Newbie

Thank you this is very useful information. I'm so glad I came across this thread

21. maximusH

maximusH Newbie

Hi! In general, it is very important to understand that the security of your alarm system depends on the choice of a security system. I think that I, who have been using Ajax systems for several years, can advise you with great confidence, since Ajax can be easily expanded with entry sensors, fire and flooding, as well as relays for remote control of electrical appliances. You can purchase and add additional devices to the system separately. Detectors can be connected with a few taps in the mobile application.Unlike most wireless and wired security systems, Ajax uses two communication channels to send alerts — cellular communication and broadband Internet. When there is a problem with one of the channels, Ajax automatically switches to the other. If an attacker jams the GSM signal, the system sends an alarm over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.