History/Documentary : Someone installed EVERY version of Live and made a video about it.

Discussion in 'Live' started by Stevie Dude, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

• Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Lepow

Lepow Producer

It popped for me as google news suggestion couple weeks back, first thing came to my mind, was that mate asking for an ancient version on Sistren.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i downoaded all live versions beginning with 1.52 (sadly an update, couldnt open it, since i dont have any version below) from ableton, when u own any version of live, you can download from there, since its hard to find cracked version below v4.
    then i installed through 2-8 (i have v8-11 still installed and run on win10 xD)

it took until v4, as live got a simpler device, wtf. until then only FX. I joined with Live 8.0.1 i think. had 7.0.18 installed too.
    First tried v4 by BEAT in 2004? didnt like it and i couldnt figure out how to use the serial from the NFO :rofl:

I just love the minimalism of Live.

great video.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. ArticStorm

He wanted windows version, thats on mac.

Haha how you need like 5 apple pc's, while i could just install all version on my windows 10 pc and they all worked still flawless.

BTW first public version of Ableton Live was first released 30th October 2001, so we have 20 years incoming. ABleton was founded in 1999, so its 22 years old this year.

here is the interview they guy said on the video: https://roberthenke.com/interviews/ableton.html

very long but i guess worth it.

6. Dildo Baggins

Dildo Baggins Kapellmeister

I was quite happily plodding along with my Cubase SX and Reason 3 Rewire combo, then a few of the techno bods I respect were raving about Live, saying that I should check it out, haven't looked back since then. Getting the APC40Mk2 Has locked me into Live for the forseeable future, it's great for being able to do live remix/DJ sets, well.... it was before all this covid crap put a stop to partying like it's 1999!

Anyway, long live live!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. creatureofthenight

creatureofthenight Ultrasonic

I was a little underwhelmed when I saw that video the other day. I felt like the general take away was- "its almost exactly the same, so no need to delve in". He says he's making a documentary in the comments based off knowledge from friends at Ableton. I'm a little weary, his music skills are definitely better than his editing skills. Documentaries are hard.

8. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

What for?

9. Dildo Baggins

Because they can! There's roughly 7 billion individuals all doing different, at times seemingly pointless tasks every single day, best not to get to hung up on it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. ArticStorm

I really like how Ableton stood by their GUI and concept. It is still great for Live stuff (Push increase the possible there) and also how its awsome for production. If i try a new DAW, i always end up going back to Live - i feel very comfortable with it. Its fast, good stock plugins and the browser - apart from not hot swapping just work for me.

Again this must have been a wonderful time, to be around in 2001 and see Ableton Live emerging from nowhere and people just giving it the first try.

Also the Hans Zimmer Anekdote from this audio meeting there, just shows alienating and new Ableton Live was at the time.
    And i guess even if your DAW is not Ableton Live, something else, if u make podcasts or whatever you at some point have worked with it - i guess?

11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I like almost everything about Live, but for mixing and mastering because I like the conventional workflow for that (Mix & master), and already get used to it.

It HELPS ME A LOT while composing in Live because I know this will be moved to other DAW (Reaper mostly, but liking the S1 now) for next stage so I minimize the time tweaking the sound, only basic EQ and comp and move on doing new track. It also makes me commit a lot to the ideas for CPU management so I can load more heavy synth. I tried to compose in S1 but I ended up tweaking the sound more than I'm recording/MIDI, I think maybe the view of GUI makes me do that. The stock EQ alone will make me spend too much time finessing. In Live though it doesn't feel like super serious stuff, LPF, HPF, remove mud, move on although the stock plugins aren't bad at all!

Even when I received projects from client, I'll always open it in Live 1st, for adding stuff (producing) until everyone happy then I'll move it to mixing DAW.

So working on songs only happens with Live GUI (browser) because of the packs always give me new ideas so my focus is more making as much tracks as possible rather than fine tuning the sound. watching the docu I noticed that they havent change the GUI since the beginning, maybe it works for people like me and they decided to keep it that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Dildo Baggins

That's it. The GUI just works the way people like you (and me) want it to, why change?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. ArticStorm

Im running Ableton.Live.v1.0-ZONE from 10-12-01 on WIndows 10 Pro flawless
    https://predb.me/?post=113445

live1_0.png
    I could upload the demo project from Live 1.0 and we could host a remix contest to celebrate 20 years of Ableton Live?