Hikikomori = Extreme Loners (social isolation)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Choosename, Apr 28, 2024.

?

Do you know someone that is socially isolated?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    79.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

From Wikipedia:

Hikikomori (Japanese: ひきこもり or 引きこもり, lit. "pulling inward, being confined"), also known as severe social withdrawal, is total withdrawal from society and seeking extreme degrees of social isolation and confinement.Hikikomori refers to both the phenomenon in general and the recluses themselves, described as loners or "modern-day hermits".

And for debate, Is this a music production related thing?

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Worn Soles

Worn Soles Ultrasonic

Yes. Japan seems to have a most advanced industry around this. Though they exist in every country I think.

4. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Maybe that just means introvert. There is a another word otaku, which means housefly I think.
    I saw a documentary from the 90s called otaku no video afair. Some guys would collect tv ads, video games, mangas , anime etc pp. Some of them were pretty off, others sounded "normal".
    I think making music or other creative activities are different, because that's more an extrovert thing imho and is often done for someone else than the creator for different reasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

I was one, i don't really feel alone as i have friends and hapens to go out and travels sometime, but i do bet in my life i have spent more time behind a screen than in the real world if you don't count sleep time, it's jsut that my passions and work require me to be behind a screen i like to make electronic music, play video games, a bit of 3D, programming and sometime i watch a serie or movie, then at work working as an IT doesn't help me with touching grass :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Ultrasonic

Myself!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. zadiac

zadiac Ultrasonic

Yep. Me. I don't like people. People are false and irritating. Dogs are better. I like being around dogs. I do like people watching though. From afar. Not up close. I like to watch them portray their stupidity.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. juliaprado8801

juliaprado8801 Ultrasonic

no problem... too much DRAMA it happens always .. and happens all the time ... nothing new.. even 1000 years ago.. it happened.. too much melo drama

9. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

They're called bachelors, they have been around for centuries.
    Welcome to the NHK is a great anime series about this phenom..

Episode 1 - btw episode 7 is hilarious, many of them are..

https://9anime.pe/watch/welcome-to-the-nhk-186?ep=4429

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Well, as the lady in the video says there's a lot of things that can cause this phenomenon. If music is an important thing in your life, it's easy to imagine that an overall sense of dissapointment on music or it's market as a consumer or producer can send you down that line. Maybe not not on it's own, but it could be one thing that could be added to the list of how someone could end up like that.

11. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

if we exclude the times i went out for shopping food and basic stuff right around block, then i left my house 1 time 2024.
    The year of 2023 i left the house like 3 times.

Interacting with people is very time consuming, and sometimes expensive too (all the drinking and etc).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Peek

Peek Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  13. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

i always thought otaku is someone addicted to those animes /mangas

14. genophyte

genophyte Producer

otaku also means "your house" , its a play on meaning since otaku is someone who obsessively exerts time, money, and energy into a hobby . Otaku have a deep, complex knowledge around a particular subject or area of study, hence they live in it.

you can be a shut in who does creative things especially in the digital age . being an extrovert is completely irrelevant and not a trait thats needed at all

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

It's easier to 'log off' from the outside world these days. The 'bookworms' of old would've done the same thing, but it wasn't nearly as easy for them. Getting lost in video game worlds for decades, hikikomoris, AI girlfriends. It always reminds of this surprisingly observant quote from a silly 90s action movie:

"[The machine] would never leave him, it would never hurt him, never shout at him, get drunk and hit him, say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice."

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  16. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Ultrasonic

Also: what does it accomplish? If you can hold yourself together on your own, there's no need. People can be so treacherous, disloyal and cowardly that it isn't worth the risk. (yes that's the trauma talking)

17. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Ultrasonic

Some of these silly flicks have the best content! Die Hard is a screenwriting masterclass that auteurs could only dream of achieving, and Death Wish is so thought-provoking!

18. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Google says about the word otaku:
    "(in Japan) a young person who is obsessed with computers or particular aspects of popular culture to the detriment of their social skills."
    I think it's also just a thing to do in Japan.

19. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  20. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Platinum Record

that was cool, i love documentaries, thanks for sharing. im not as extreme as i thought but i do feel them. like i didnt buy a nice ass house to just be hanging outside all the time. like theres more than enough space here, its decorated how i like, all my stuff is here; i have a workout room, like everything is here and how i like it, even the temperature

i need more space than a shed and i dont dislike people. like ill throw parties every one in a while, usually have a guest come hang out; but i like being in my home and by myself, its peaceful. touring really made me appreciate it more i think, like theres not that many places better than my house imo. ive been too a lot of countries, it could be because im from here, but i like i the U.S. more than most places - ive been everywhere i wanted to go, i only travel to take someone else somewhere, visit family, play shows or do press. touring really made me not want to party, everyday is like a party on tour, its the same energy but more; so i almost never go to those. ill go on dates but, i can just kick it on my property

----------------------------------------------------------

musically i think it matters but its a balance. unless you get lessons, you need alone time to get good, to listen and explore music by others. songwriting is so introspective. there was this quote by David Lynch i heard sometime in my life that i took to heart, it was like, "creatively its important to have everything else be peaceful and almost boring in your environment, because then all your focus can be on thinking creatively", thats the gist, which i agree with completely when it comes to creativity. if theres a bunch of noise and drama around me, its distracting, alone time plays a big part in that and not being distracted. one of my favorite books The Lord of The Rings, Tolkien would work on it when everyone was asleep. thats why i think its important

but one reason it needs to be balanced is because you need experiences to make compelling songs, you have to interact with others to learn more about yourself and to understand people better; which will translate to your songs

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

After covid isolation, that now everybody knows what isolation means, and after covid that people is more reluctant to socialize as before, with the explosion of telework, and the highest spended times in front of a computer, if your hobby is to IT related... This kind of behavior should be peaking now, there are more yikes than nopes.

Dogs are better than humans. Period.

We need contact (whatever kind of) to be ready to create, like constant flow of contact-attention to be a healthy creative. IMO.
    How many points on this introvert-extrovert scale are around depends on the person necesities.

Interesting lecture, @Grape Ape great you found a balance, and a nice place to create. :like: