High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tooloud, Sep 26, 2017.

1. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Wasn't it the name of an Ultravox song? I never jump on board with new Mac OS's straight away, but I'm wondering if anybody is going to dive into this immediately. I'm actually scratching my head as to why it has even been released since it is for the few SSD only machines in the market.

3. saltwater

saltwater Guest

runs on any drive, no need for SSD only
    tried it out now on a separate ssd, just the os, safari, youtube, did not install anything.
    opened about 100+ tabs+windows everywhere to check the new WindowServer performance
    and im impressed, its lightning fast!

still i would not suggest to upgrade now,
    too many Apps still need updates, and i have not tried any Audiosoftware,
    as always, many people report all kinds of issues while others report success

i had no issues, but i only tried the basic stuff

i recommend 2 backups this time, TM and CCC

4. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Issues with LPX. And quirks like removing all your logon items randomly.. oh and tot allowed to use APFS for TM, even if it is an SSD. Guess Apple doesn't have that much faith in it yet either.

5. zero frendo

zero frendo Member

still on 10.9.5 everything works so I can work. A couple of new plugs have moved on. but i think i have over 1300 that work, so probably should be able to have results with wherever you are. Good luck with watevr you choose. :)

6. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I upgraded because I'm a loser. However, it's so minor. Everything still works on my machine. Live 9, FL beta. Logic LPX. No word on PT10. However, I left PT in the breeze for a few years now.

I have a grip of plugins so I haven't gone thru everything, but all projects loaded without incident.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i need serato dj to be as solid as a rock. i won't upgrade until they give the go ahead. i find that daws and plugins always seem to work with brand new macOS's tho.
    even when NI and UVI through a hissy fit a few years ago and told everyone not to upgrade cos their plugins wouldn't work, they actually worked fine!

8. Ted

Ted Ultrasonic

If anyone as a list of cracked plugins not working anymore after High Sierra install (Open SSH plugins: Altiverb, eventide etc ...) , that would be great ! thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Apple should update (10.x.X) OSes only every year and upgrade (10.X) only every five years - and afte copious troubleshooting and bugproofing. If I'm "stuck with" 10.11, and all the software I presently have on it, for the next five years, I'll be content.

10. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

thats their business :)

11. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

The most recent Mac release of Altiverb works just fine on High Sierra. I haven't updated any Waves stuff since about last year and they work. I'm sure users have too many plugs to sit and make a list, but after going through a grip of sessions just last night. I had no problems. 32 Lives was fine as well.

12. MORTIX

MORTIX Kapellmeister

I upgraded it.. No issues so far! Runnin like a champ..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. tooloud

tooloud Guest

So, for clarification, it works on fusion drives, despite Apple saying "not ready yet" However there are no speed or performance improvements? Am I right in assuming it is in fact primarily for SSD equipped Macs?

14. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Haha. I want to upgrade solely because I'm a loser as well. My Mac is running beautifully, but I have a perverse desire to improve it despite the risks.

15. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i think the only part that doesn't work (for now) with fusion drives is the new format, APFS

16. John V

John V Ultrasonic

How to update to high Sierra and make opensh plugins work? Of course it is an stupid question, please someone smarter and wiser can answer politely? Thanks in advance, good luck to all the people updating.

17. tooloud

tooloud Guest

But APFS is really the main selling point. That's the major change from OS8.

18. beaucarty

beaucarty Newbie

Yes a list of Plugs not working would be nice, I'm on project and no time to reactivate so many stuff
    hope there 's no problem, wait till next week ...

19. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Most of them work still or worst case fun the force au validation utility. A handful of mine (like the DMG pack) scan on every Logic startup, but then work fine. 32 lives works still too.

20. Gnib

Gnib Producer

Sound Radix mailed me:
    However, with this update, it appears that Apple has deprecated support for the Carbon framework which means older plug-ins using this technology can no longer display their user interface. Therefore we strongly recommend our 32 Lives users do NOT upgrade to macOS High Sierra at this time.

21. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I'm not one of those people who complain about technologies being discarded in favour of something that will ultimately be for the greater good, but this update feels like it's for the top 5% of mac owners while it's useless to everybody else. For so long now Fusion Drives have probably accounted for most mac sales and to release something that is incompatible with most product seems as though they will do themselves more harm than good as far as public perception goes. I think this will have the lowest uptake rates of any OS update since the end of OS9.