Hi, I'm new... can somebody classify this track for me?

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Sample Simon, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Sample Simon

Sample Simon Member

It's not that I care what genre it would be considered, I'm just curious that's all.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input!

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Congratulations @ Sample Simon on your music projects. I have listened to other pieces of yours on your
    Soundcloud presence. Very exciting and imaginative music. Diverse and modern. You have a very wide range.
    You also combine classical music with modern computer generated music. Quite high artistic level.

Genre: Finally some genre-free music, I would say modern computer-based world music. Or also (IDM = Intelligent dance music).
    Do more promotion for your Soundcloud - are you on YouTube? Your music should get more into the world.

4. Sample Simon

Sample Simon Member

Thanks so much! Cool that you've come across my music before... I didn't think anybody other than my friends and bots cared! And I think I agree... my buddy asked me what genre I consider my music, and I really had no idea what to tell him!

I just started lurking around this forum recently, but I really need more advice on how to get my music out there. I have an old YouTube channel - I used to post tracks I made w/ Teenage Engineering OP-1, but nothing ever caught on and I have no idea how to get more people to listen because I steer clear of social media in general. The audio quality on my videos was very poor, however, as I used a line-in into an iPad for audio and it was always muffled. I don't have a high quality camera. I have no FB, etc. but I definitely want more people to hear my stuff because I think it's unique and interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and the possible genres.

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I hear multiple genres and styles instrumentally in this. In fact the keyboard in the middle is funky.
    I have not heard the rest of your music but it is clear you are searching which is the best way to find what you are looking for. In this day and age, it may well be original which is no small feat. It's not my kind of music but I respect the abilities :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. ricbm710

ricbm710 Kapellmeister

I don't know what genre this is but I like it a lot. I can see this as a soundtrack for a futuristic robot-related game!

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Make a demo CD ROM with 7 - 10 tracks that you don't sell, but that you give away, so you are promoting yourself and your music.
    This way your music will definitely get out into the world. And you enrich the world with new interesting music.

Design a logo or take the logo from your SoundCloud page and define your artist name. Always use the same logo. A free website maybe. Offer the free CD as a download (Mega.nz is free and fast https://mega.nz/start). Post your free CD in different forums, introduce yourself briefly as a musician and write all contacts like: SoundCloud, YouTube, maybe your website/Bandcamp under it.

About the videos - you don't need a camera and you don't need and shouldn't necessarily do the same thing everyone does. You can also upload pictures directly to YouTube and the music to it, YouTube will make a video out of it (instructions below). Or you take for example: Magix Video Deluxe - 70 $ - www.magix.com/us/video-editor/movie-studio/purchase/

I do sound design, I also don't have a camera, for videos I just use photos and a software from Magix.
    http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/ and https://www.youtube.com/user/FutureNoise1 and https://soundcloud.com/c-h-e

Upload images as YouTube video

How to Upload a Video to YouTube
    https://www.wikihow.com/Upload-a-Video-to-YouTube#Using-Youtube.com-on-a-Computer

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Interesting music. it's refreshing for sure.
    Yes, some kind of retro game.
    I'm not good at defining music genre, as don't really mind, but could it be associated with Cyberpunk? Or Retrowave?
    Please forgive and correct me if I'm wrong.

9. robotboy

robotboy Producer

This would be a good ongoing thread for those of us who struggle with discerning all the microgenres of electronic music.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

with the breakdown at 1:30ish rendered as it is. it sounds like a mix of electro and French House with the repetitive kick removed. A vocoder and a good kick drum and some pads later, voila it's a pseudo Daft Punk style track. this is just about the first major break.

I have to listen a few more times and to the whole thing. but I have not heard a "genre name" that immediately springs to mind about the full song. I am not sure I really like it, but it is certainly different.

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

And as it is not, it makes it more original.

Now I've been listening to more tracks from you, and really it's fantastic to hear music that does not fit in any "genre box".
    You have a lot of talent.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  12. Sample Simon

Sample Simon Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words (except maybe clone, but that's FINE! I appreciate the honesty!!!). And to be honest myself, Daft Punk is a huge influence for me and I kinda felt that might the best way to describe it.

It's funny, tho, a buddy of mine also related this to video game type music. And that's totally fine with me... perhaps I can market myself as such!

I already have a boatload of other tracks that are much different than this one, and also have no idea as for what the heck to call them! However, no matter where the music leads I usually end up returning to something like this every now and then.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

I understand "sounds like xy ban/other artist" is not always said as praise. But I associate that style playing with French House. Anything on Roulette records from Bangalter. It's a cool arpeggiated style of playing chords that gives it "that sound" to me, just as much as the big filter cutoff sweeps they use in that music. It's almost how someone might play an organ, or a clavinova.

you have me stumped for a genre it may belong to. What are the sound source types and how many people worked on the music? Maybe that might give you a broader brush.

14. Sample Simon

Sample Simon Member

-Diva/Arturia/Kontakt libs
    -One (me)

15. Colin

Colin Producer

The positive: it has way more in terms of ideas and flow than the majority of "rate my track please" efforts that people post on here.

The negative: it sounds very quantised and has no swing or groove or feel.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of prog rock that wants to be Daft Punk (ish) ... nothing wrong with that, and would absolutely benefit from more live playing by real musicians to give it some life.

Good effort.

16. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

Right off the bat, it's downtempo/chillout with psychill/psybient/chillgressive characteristics such as vacillating only between two chords. The YouTube channels The Psychedelic Muse and Psy-Fi has lots of artists with similar recordings.