Hey Fellas! How could I improve my last song?

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by IllBert, May 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IllBert

IllBert Producer

3. stoiximan

stoiximan Platinum Record

I dont know about improvements but you have done a very nice work here.Maybe lowering the bells a little bit

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Get Phil Collins to sing it and you are fed for life.

Start with a more mellow synth,ditch the bells and try to get a pro vocalist and get it properly mixed/mastered,its a good song.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

I would actually lower the bells one octave. I like the bells, and maybe add more reverb to them. They sound to tight and punchy, loosen them up with a transient shaper and lower the volume.

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

If you're looking for realism in that plucked instrument (not saying you are - but if) I would manufacture some timing and velocity imperfections. I'm gonna feel silly if that was actually played but it doesn't sound like it at all to me.

Shit I actually really like this. I keep anticipating some harder drums, but so far I love the reverse and the kind of lo-freq/lo fi vibe to the drums. The vocal and the vocal processing sound great. This is good stuff and I feel like the average pop music derp would lap it up despite its artistic integrity.

I like this idea. They're not conspicuously too loud or anything, but with those types of instruments I enjoy when they're farther back and you kind of have to think about them to really hear them for what they are. Almost like they're just there to add fullness and movement rather than for their own sake.

For my own curiosity - what is that reverse sound? I reversed and hi-passed a kick once that sounded a bit like that. That's my best guess. Super cool sound though. Really adds a lot of vibe

7. IllBert

IllBert Producer

The reverse sound is the bell pluck you hear at second 10 (made it with spire) , added some long bright reverb to it, freeze, flatten, reverse, simple technique. Or you mean the reverse on second 53?
    I think I will use some stereo enhancer and some reverb on the bells, you're right they need to be pushed back on the sonic wall.

Thanks for the tips I'm so glad you liked the song.

8. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

A truly delightful track. Love the vox. The mix is balanced. Originality is there. Looking forward to hearing more of your work.
    Keep us posted. Thanx!

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I was talking about reversed drum/perc hit right before the snare. It's a cool touch

10. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

Maybe some automation on pan's.

11. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

@IllBert I like this song. The bells are too strong, just as already proposed lower their volume and consider playing them one octave lower. I also like the vocals, but technically they are a bit off for my taste. The voice sits a bit to the right in the mix and I'm under the impression that you used a chorus effect (or a very small room with modulation). I propose to not use such an effect. Better sing it twice and use both takes hard panned left and right. And give them a little bit more air (a reverb with low frequencies cut, or an echo, also with low freq cut), it would make the voice sit in the mix even better.
    But of course, this is just my taste, feel free to ignore it. The song is good anyway!

12. Pepper

Pepper Newbie

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I think you're dumping it in every thread you can find... feeling spammy with it today?