Here's mine tricks for upfront vocals

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Swg Itsyo, Jul 28, 2024 at 10:53 PM.

1. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

My tricks for keeping a voice prominent in the mix involve compressing it quite a bit—often with a limiter and around 10dB of gain reduction. I also frequently use Trackspacer or Soothe for more detailed work. The Focusrite Fast is great, but it lacks mid-side processing and can sometimes produce an unpleasant effect!

I struggle to maintain the voice consistently centered, especially when there’s an almost empty intro followed by a super dense chorus. I don’t like to automate the vocals; I prefer to "manage" the beat so that it’s tailored around the voice.

What are your tricks? What suggestions do you have?

3. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

waves vocal rider

4. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

At one point I used the waverider tg to then apply compression and more effects... but now sometimes I even do it by hand... it's not that much work... but these plugins make the work a lot easier.
    Then it is opto compression + another fet compression, distortion just to generate harmonics and then some limiter.

5. Smeghead

Smeghead Producer

I have never had luck with extreme limiting and vocal riding. It all creates far more problems to fix than is worth it... I just use reasonable compression and mix, like ye olde days. With Automation and envelope drawing what could be simpler? Nothing's better than your ears for this kind of work.