Here's another probably silly question.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by WillyA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I had a song on Mixcraft 8, which I did a long while back. It was working as normal. I saved the song as a MIDI. It had Bass Guitar (Ample Sound P V3). It had Superior Drummer and 5 Kontakt tracks.

I checked in MX and all tracks were playing stereo. Panning dead centre (told you it was long ago).

I loaded the MIDI into Studio One v5, and loaded the same instruments as the ones that I had in MX. When I started to play, Bass was panned hard left, seems to be mono. I went into Ample Sound and set the panning to centre. while it was playing. No problem, but when I stopped the song and restarted, it went back to hard left again

The same with all the Kontakt tracks, all panned either hard left or right and changing them whilst playing works but stop and rerstart (even in the middle of the song) and they all go back to where they were. Superior Drummer is not behaving in the same way. It's perfectly normal.

Now, I wonder is this something in the DAW, something in the MIDI or what is going on?

I'm probably missinhg something stupid, but, if you never ask you never get an answer.

HELP!!!!!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

(maybe :dunno:) Is that panning information included within the midi files?
    Have a look at the midi information in whatever midi inspector is available in your DAW
    You're looking for Control Changes that affect panning,
    but there might be other redundant control codes that you also might want to clean out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. WillyA

WillyA Producer

My initial thought was that it has something to do with the MIDI, but I seem to recall that MIDI instructions are at the BEGINNING of the MIDI file, but even if you reatart playing in the middle of the song, the panning changes back.

How would I find the control changes either in Studio One or Logic Pro?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Yes - usually much of the Control Change stuff (configuration, setup, etc) is at the beginning,
    but it really might be elsewhere too.
    That's a good first check, and does cast some doubt on blaming control events in the midi file,
    but must still be worth having a look in the midi first.
    In Logic you want the Event List view
    Several pages of info starting here...
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcp21591cf3/10.5/mac/10.14.6

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That's how these controllers can and often shall work.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  7. No Avenger

4:27, you should be able to find Pan in the list

8. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Yes! Great tutorial. Nice to know how to get to all these, BUT . . .

I didn't find a Pan, but there are LOTS of parameters. Most of the are control1 to x. Is there a way to find which ontrol in Kontakt is the Pan slider? If I centre the slider whilst playing it's both R+L but the slider moves back to far right or far left when I stop.

9. No Avenger

Best Answer
    Sorry, I never used Studio One and can't tell you where to find these - even the manual didn't help. I suggest you edit the title and mentioned SO so it attracts the right people. I'm absolutely sure there is a way to find these kind of data.
    BTW MIDI CC 10 = pan.

You maybe find this page helpful https://anotherproducer.com/online-tools-for-musicians/midi-cc-list/
    A pdf link is embedded after the first paragraph (maybe a bit difficult to see).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  10. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Thanks to the link I solved the problem. It was CC10. Thanks

11. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Another link that mistakenly calls control change messages 'continuous controllers'! :deep_facepalm: