Here's a program to generate individual folders for individual files

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bluerover, Jun 15, 2019.

1. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I ran across a small free WINDOWS program to bulk generate individual folders for individual files.

Explanation/scenario :

This would be good for those freeware programs that you download that are single *.exe files.
    Sometimes after collecting these individual files for a couple of months, I find myself with 15+ of these program *.exe files that I need to put into their own folders for ..."archiving" (you know the drill)

This is also a great program for single movie or video files that don't have a folder.

How to :

1. Install the program (*edit : place this program in a location that you would place a portable application, THEN install it.)
    2. The program will appear in the "SEND TO" context menu when you right-click on the file or selected files.

3. When you select multiple files, right click on them, choose "SEND TO", then click "GENERATE FOLDER"
    4. You'll be prompted : "Create Single Folder For Items?" --> Click 'NO'
    5. Each file will be placed into a newly generated folder that is the exact same name as the file.

DOWNLOAD PAGE :
    https://www.w7tweaksapp.com/files-to-folder-generate-folder-v1-2/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

Yes yes yes wawawiwa very nice i was looking for something like this!

4. napgiver

napgiver Noisemaker

I've tried, a few time, to make a batch file to do this, and failed. Thanks for sharing this little find :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks for your head up @bluerover - could be useful :like:

6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

This is a great program. I have been using it for months. If you plan to install it using the command prompt instructions as explained the developers site you need to modify the command prompt to GenerateDir1.2.exe/in or the exe. file's name to GenerateDir.exe or it would not work.

Edit: A couple of you text me that it does not work. If it does not work. Create a folder in My Documments or any other location you wish. Drop in it the GenerateDir1.2 exe file. Create a shortcut. Move shortcut to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Thank you. No more 'mkdir', '-p' or braces. Very cool.