Here it goes again...Best Mixing/Mastering tutorial?

Discussion in 'Education' started by samsome, Dec 22, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

Here it goes again...Best Mixing/Mastering tutorial?

I'm gonna try learn again this coming week hopefully, so looking where to spend my time at in all the mixing/mastering tutorials chaos.....

3. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Anything by Bob Katz, pureMix stuff is good also, MWTM etc.
    You can find many of these tutorials already posted on youtube, but if you're looking for a specific engineer you like, try the sister site or rutracker.org
    Even the Slate courses are pretty good for picking up things on the fly, but they're not super thorough.

Oh and for mastering, I would check out Brian Lucey. The man really knows his stuff and explains it very good.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2020
  4. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Depends on genre. For me.
    Puremix. Luca Pretolesi Mixing Major Lazer.

5. ITHertz

ITHertz Kapellmeister

Mike White

6. samsome

samsome Guest

i googled this and only reason i have to say no is cause i don't want to spend a year going through his materials....700 hours or something...

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

there is no "best", but this is good

8. tnc

tnc Producer

Haha, you won't learn in a week.. Sorry, but its the truth. Also, mixing is VERY different between engineers and producers and style of music. Listen to people but don't take it as they are right, because they aren't. There aren't a correct way to do mixing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. tnc

tnc Producer

That sounded really terrible.. Oh my god... He shows one way of working, but he clearly doesn't listen to what he does.. because it sounds like shit.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

This.
    The best way, learn is to mix your own stuff and how and why the tools are working. Know your tools.
    Watching some dude say "tame the highs" and "listen how that's glued the mix together" only shows how he approach that one particular song.

I could watch people make a soufflé for a month. I'd know the best eggs, finest caster sugar, how to prepare my milk, get the exact temperature of his oven. Then make a pile of shit.
    Whilst Mary next door just made 3, whilst following brief recipe and cracked it 4th time in a week.

11. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

I agree. EQ a smiley face put a limiter on it and smash it!?
    I've also watched Streaky post an Ozone 9 mastering tutorial a few months ago and but he had just got the software so the video is of him trying to figure it out so he doesn't know how to use it properly. Learn it before you teach it. :snuffy:
    After watching that video he doesn't seem like a pro engineer.