Henry Olonga - The man, the myth, the legend talks Nebula & computers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zenarcist, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

International cricketer, death threats, The Voice, and early days Nebula sampling guru!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  3. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

i just went down a wild Henry Olonga youtube rabbit hole lol. I had no clue he has lived so many lives. interesting character.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Henry was on a mission when he was living and working in England, and he spent his free time sampling every piece of vintage hardware he could his hands on.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  5. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Audiosexual

Nice content, nice person. His Q-Clone presets i use till this day, the free and paid ones. I think alongside GML presets made by Sir Massenburg himself, my favorite Q-Clone presets are from him. And the guy is nuts with gear. It's very interesting to see his workflow ITB and try to extract some good information, if you're the kind of person that likes building virtual mixing consoles just like me. This deserves more hype.

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The dude was ahead of his time, and he did a lot to stir up interest in the Nebula technology, which was a precursor to the current Acqua libraries. I'm still a fan of the old tech, as I find it easier to construct recording chains that suit my needs, and AlexB/Cupwise/TimP, etc., are still pushing the boundaries with their new libraries. I use Reaper and the new containers are very Nebula friendly, and if you have a beefy computer system you can do amazing things these days, so I am 100% with Henry on this :wink:

7. toetea

toetea Producer

What benefits are there to Q-Clone versus Nebula? Wouldn't Nebula be more superior?

Q-Clone is just static curves right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Riddim Machine

Yeah, Nebula is different because emulates the harmonic distortion and compression from the hardware, plus the EQ curves. His Q-Clone presets are just impulse responses he captured from some hardwares, but, without distortion, just musical EQ curves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. toetea

toetea Producer

If you really like Q-Clone you should check out some of the IR eq curves from PastToFutureReverbs. I haven't looked at it all but they offer a lot of cool stuff. There is also NAM and Proteus but I have not really experimented with them a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Riddim Machine

I use PTF IR's quite a lot and even bought some of them. I like to use them with some saturation plugins and to emulate especific tones. There are some more usable than others but i dig their stuff a lot. The normal convolution and the machine learning captures. The Trident and API for proteus are amazing, as good as Nebula.

11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I knew he was a cricketer, because I remember he systematically took apart the England line up without giving away hardly any runs.. I remember the wickets he took of Nasser Hussain, Nick Night and Graeme Hick but there were others as well. What a bowler he was.

I didn't have a clue about everything else though, until now.. Thank you for posting that @Zenarcist