Help with winrar unpacking 300gb giving errors

Discussion in 'PC' started by RajuPalliBabu, Mar 31, 2024.

Tags:
  1. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

Is there way to fix these corrupted file errors winrar gives?

I am stuck unpacking 300gb pack with 337 parts and three parts are having errors. I know these can be sometimes related to how you download the files, re-downloading the files somehow usually fixes these problems but not this time.

Trying to repair things with rar has usually been little of help. I do now end up getting some kind of end product but its still missing something and it does not feel good with all the time already put into this

3. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Kapellmeister

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i dont get why there are 300GB rar archives?

the biggest rar file i did unpack was Nexus3 with almost all expansions and yeah i had to reload the file twice, bcs it had errors somehow.

if you can unpack it, maybe the parts are broken?

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I agree about the enormous 300GB archive, but I think the 337 parts are just as bad. That is asking for just as many possible problems to occur.

6. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

Ill give it a go

Yeah and when you unpack it theres another 300gb archive with like 30gb saved due to this double compression. Its 4-5 hours total time of uncompressing it :D Im not questioning peoples methods but i just wonder whats the cause of those corrupted rars

I realised theres an option on winrar to uncompress the files anyway even if it shows a problem so ill tick that box maybe it helps

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

using the latest winrar version?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

Turns out i was on version 5.4, time seems to fly it feels like just yesterday that i downloaded that one. So i went updated to 7.00 and tried and after 2 hours i got the errors. It was worth the shot

9. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Yikes - It has never taken me 4-5 hours to complete unraveling a rar file. The largest I have done is ~250gb's and that only took around 1.5 hours (max 2 hrs) to complete - no where near 4-5 hours...

Yeah I have played with that setting before and it's not a guarantee that it will work - worth a try I guess, but don't hold your breath. If there is significant data issues/corruption it will still error out in the same manner and not un-archive the questionable files...

10. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

Yeah it does not fix anything but if the program wants atleast some broken useless files are there for it then. I hope those broken files are mics recording something barely inaudible

Its like 1.5 hours for the first unpack, then 2+ hours for the second unpack. Even deleting the files took half an hour because it was around million files.

11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I'm not saying it WILL fix it, but sometimes when unpacking an RAR file, it contains filenames that are too long. Whenever I get problems like that I always take it to the root of the drive and unpack there. That way it allows for the longer filenames.

In the root Say c:/ create another folder and call it z so you have c:/z/ put the rar file in Z and unpack from there.. otherwise it will fill up the root directory.. ok?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. clone

clone Audiosexual

I know why this used to be done by release groups. Archive inside another, then another. But is this really necessary in 2024? Only certain groups/teams do it anymore. It doubles the free space necessary, at minimum; but luckily only big files like those being described here are ever a concern. Whatever you are installing that is so many files, I would end up finding something else entirely. You could put at least 3 or 4 Arturia synths worth of bitmap files in there instead.

13. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

try using jdownloader, it will do a crc or mds check and automatically re-download if theres a problem.
    get the parts next to the problematic ones also, the ones right before and after.

i once had that same issue, asked in the comments of the post and someone knowledgeable pointed out an alternative unarchiver and it worked. some sort of scene thing.
    sorry to say i wont be able to find that now, if i was awake at the time i may have kept it with the archive, just too many hdds.
    somebody here will know

14. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

Yes maybe in this case the second compression was kind of unnecessary. Maybe they just have standardised method of working.

I turned that thing off because things got weird when jdownloader starts unpacking 300gb on its own. But i will keep this in mind with smaller downloads, usually the winrar just tells what parts are problematic and redownloading them fixes things.

I realised its only few bits corruption on 330gb and 850 000 files so i finally moved on with my life, checked the box to keep the possibly damaged files and accepted the fact that some upstairs bathroom microphone is missing one bit of one of its 125 sensitivity layers not picking up producers fart resonations perfectly from the next stall and moved on with my life