Help with USB or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by jefft, Nov 4, 2017.

1. stoiximan

stoiximan Platinum Record

Check your Power supply unit friend

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  2. jefft

jefft Producer

No Avenger, wtf are you on about power on via USB allows the pc to wake up, my problem is that I can't shut the pc down when a USB lead is conected to my line 6 pod hd?
    KidPix my MB has USB 2 and 3 (Asus Hd81) I'm using the USB 2 slots, I'm assuming as the line 6 pod is a few years old (pre USB 3) so it wouldn't be comparable.
    Thanks tboth of you for your input

3. jefft

jefft Producer

Surely the power supply on three separate computers can't be wrong......can they?

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Hey, peace, bro, as I said I'm not a pro in this and it may be a stupid question. My thought was that if enabled pod is preventing shutdown due to power up impulse, that's all.

5. jefft

jefft Producer

Sorry No Avenger, no offence meant. I've been trying to solve this problem with the line 6 POD HD, off and on for well over 5 years, it seemed to work fine on XP ,but to be honest I can't really remember back that far. I seem to have tried thousands of configurations but none seemed to work. Just recently I bought a Digitech RP360, and this seems to have the same problems, on a fresh windows 7 install that is. Any sugestion is a step in the right direction, I apologise most humbly for my curt reply.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus Producer

Maybe buy a small outlet switch to turn off the device without having to unplug it, if it is USB powered, they make a small USB hub with power switches.

7. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Sorry, this won't help you, but did you ever consider the damn thing to be broken?

I've had some serious problems with my computer years ago. HDD wasn't recognized, mouse or keyboard didn't work from time to time, PC didn't come up at all and some other things. At the end it turned out it was a malfunctioning USB dongle. Dumped. Done.

8. jefft

jefft Producer

Twoheart, it would seem strange that the line 6, when connected stopped the pc from shutting down. Also another unit, the digitech 360 gives the same effect, seems strange ... But could be a possibility highly unlikely though.

Tarkus.....what you deem to be a positive solution, none of the units are USB powered, but a swichable power outlet is the way.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Spewing some more ideas... have you updated the motherboard's BIOS to the latest one? Do you have the latest chipset drivers?

I found something else that might help - changing the MPS 1.4 table to 1.1 in BIOS, if you have that option. btw. What's your motherboard?

Have you tried disabling the Power Management for USB Root Hub in Device Manager? Try unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" in "Power Management" tab of the USB Root Hub. That's what I always do on my audio PCs, too. If they use USB audio interface, which is kinda rare in pro studios. [usually FireWire or Thunderbolt these days]

Great that you don't run an AV and it's not connected to the Internet. Much less problems to think about. :wink:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

True. Unlikely when it's two devices with the same effect. But...
    Please check, if your device starts an APP (observe Taskmanager while plugin in device). It is possible that USB devices start a program, that may prevent a shutdown. Just a thought.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It would make sense to verify first that the device is not broken. I would connect it to another machine and check if the effect is the same. If yes it's defective.

13. jefft

jefft Producer

Soundwave, thanks for the reply, mobo is an Asus H81 plus, have tried turning off power management, to no avail. I use FireWire for the soundcard, focusrite pro 40. I use the pod and the digitech as guitar processors, connected via analogue audio leads and only use the USB side to run the editors, but being an older person, I have back problems and have difficulty getting into positions to edit the units manually. So an onscreen editor is a plus, but having to get down to undo USB leads is a bit of a pain, but not as bad as trying to edit stuff.

Twoheart, will try that tommorrow

Digitaldragon, what you say is excellent and the way to go, but I don't think I'm technically proficient enough to follow that. Ill try and digest it tomorrow,

Thanks all you guys for your help, its most appreciated.

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I asked for help and got this answer. Without any proof of being useful:

M-Audio audiophile Delta 249 conflict Joepsz , a poster to Microsoft’s TechNet forums, has discovered a fix that involves stopping the “Audiosrv” and “AudioEndpointBuilder” processes associated with the M-Audio audiophile Delta 249, which exhibits a conflict with Windows 7. The fix is as follows:

1. Create a .bat file (create txt file and change extention to .bat)
    2. Right Click on file > “edit” and enter following info:
      • net stop “Audiosrv”
      • net stop “AudioEndpointBuilder”
    3. Save file as “Audio stop”(or whatever you want) to your main drive ie: C:\Audio stop
    4. Open “run” from start menu and enter “gpedit.msc” (without quotes) and hit “OK”
    5. Now navigate from right pain of window “User Configuration” > “Windows Settings” > “scripts (Logon/Logoff)” > “Logoff”
    6. From window that opens from clicking “Logoff” Click “Add” then browse to where you saved “Audio Stop.bat” earlier and double click on it.
    7. Hit “Apply” and close.

via https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ad0e7fd6-bf15-4540-ac64-1b6f28d931aa/windows-7-hangs-on-shutting-down-screen?forum=w7itproperf

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

And then they say Linux is difficult to use. :rofl: Most of the time everything just works in Linux. You install it and it just works without having to install any drivers. You connect something and it works. You press shutdown and it goes off. In the case when something doesn't work like it's supposed to, solutions are easier than in Windows... just an observation. :wink: [and I use Debian 9 with MATE desktop, it could be completely different with some other distribution and desktop]

Anyway, I think we'll get to the bottom of it, sooner or later. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. jefft

jefft Producer

Best Answer
    OK, big thanks for all your help. I've not solved the problem, I followed most of your advice and got nowhere, but you all tried, and I'm extremely grateful for your help. I've resigned to rewiring my studio, and including separate switchable mains supply to the two offending machines......Thanks once again.........Hangs his head in shame and leaves the room:unsure:

17. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It's quite a time ago I used Unix/Linux/Xenix/OSX, so I'm not up to date.
    Your observations are correct. The iX OSes are more stable and produce less errors. But why. Unix and it's derivates were first developed at universities and for scientists. The main purpose was producing a rock solid OS without bells and whistles. UI and ease of use wasn't the main goal and most of the time iX OSes are setup by professionals. In the 80ies setting up a Unix system was quite a heroic project for normal user. This changed with the years, but even today it's not as easy as to set up Windows for the normal computer dumbass.

In contrast, Windows was created to serve average people and office users. Also MS in the past tried to serve their customers for extreme long periods, so that you can use peripherals and old hardware for ages (this seems to be changing).
    This is the attemt to create an One-For-All-And-Ever OS and this approch doesn't pay in terms of stability but in customer loyalty. This leads to an unparalelled coverage in software.

There is no better or worse OS, it depends.

18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You don't have to feel ashamed or bad, for that matter. Operating systems are very complex beasts these days and I always wonder how the hell do they manage to make them work at all. :rofl:

Just imagine... Microsoft with a whole army of top-paid [notice top-paid, not top programmers LOL] programmers is unable to make a bugless OS and the more code there is, the more buggy it gets and more debugging is needed. That's why I'm so weary about the newer=better. Just look at the poor FXpansion suite of plugins, for example. Their Guru 1 is still more stable than anything else they've done. Waves 7 and 8 are more stable and work better than 9 and so on... Plus programmers are lazy beasts who like to program new features, but hate fixing bugs. Just imagine that? :wink:

This was an interesting bug hunt jefft! If you manage to make it work I'd really love to hear about it! :wink: I *really hate* unresolved issues! Sometimes I can't sleep when something is not working properly until I solve it. :sad:

19. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I suppose it depends on how you like to work. To some it's easier to try hooking into different devices to guess which is the culprit. I prefer the substance of looking at logs and such, especially after trying the different PC, different hub, etc. approach. It's a lot easier to me, but that's me. It usually leads me right to the culprit.
    If it's a service hanging, then it would be a software bug. If it's the Line6 software, it likely wouldn't get fixed (discontinued device), but he could stop the service with a batch prior to shutdown as per @No Avenger's post. It probably is the equipment, not being actually defective or anything, just poorly coded services or drivers which didn't play well with some update that occurred with Windows 7. Something in the driver or service which is hanging on shutdown.
    Easiest non techie solution, rewire the Line 6 into some sort of switchable power, or put it on some kind of switchable hub.

20. jefft

jefft Producer

I tend to think along terms that digitaldragon says that my problem is relating to a now obsolete line 6 product, I tried the batch that No Avenger suggested, with no luck. So as a compromise I'll Wire up the power to switchable sockets I tried a switchable hub, to no availe. What I can't understand is why the digitech has the same results, as it's a newer model.
    I spent most of my life, fault finding on domestic goods ie Tv, video, hifi etc, at the component level, now sadly at the ripe age of 63, I tend to look for a quick workaround. As Signwave says coders are lazy they tend to create workarounds rather than find the source of the problem, something that's not really in my vocabulary. But this I'm afraid has me beat. Thanks for all your contributions, if I ever find an answer, I'll let you know.