Help with system audio recording in Ableton

Discussion in 'PC' started by Slaking_97, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

Hi everyone,

I'm having some troubles to record the audio coming out from Ableton in Windows.
    So the problem is this one:
    I'd like to start recording tutorials with Ableton, and screen capture and mic work well, but I can't record the audio that's coming out from Ableton. When i play for example a song in Windows Media Player or a Youtube video the audio shows up in the Windows mixer, and I can record it with a software. However, with Ableton, for some reason i can hear the audio coming out but it doesn't show up in the mixer, like it's passing through it, and so I can't record it.

I guess the problem is because I use the ASIO driver in Ableton with my sound card (I have a Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen), because if i choose MME/DirectX from the driver panel in Ableton the audio shows up in the mixer. However with MME/DirectX the latency is pretty high and there are some CPU problems like spikes and clicks.
    I was just wondering if anyone knows a way to record the audio coming out from Ableton without using the MME/DirectX driver.
    I've already tried to run 2 instances of Ableton and record the audio in the second one using the Resample feature but it doesn't work.

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It can be realized using virtual audio cable and asio4all.

4. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

Thanks I'll check that out

5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I think virtual audio cable runs rock stable (in contast to A4A) and is easier to use.
    (or at least ASIIO4All doesn't run reliably on my laptop. It sometimes refuses to run at all, other times it runs smoothly, thus not reliable. So I won't recommend it, given there's a better alternative, sic.)

6. Chuchufromjapana

Chuchufromjapana Member

7. Theo

Theo Noisemaker

Hi, try JackAudio/ Jackrouter.
    Cheers

8. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

At the moment JackAudio works only for 32 bit programs, I'm using 64 bit Ableton

However I still can't figure out how to route Ableton's output to Virtual Cable 1... If I route the output of the soundcard to Virtual Cable 1 it only sends the mic output, Ableton's output is still directly sent to the headphones.
    Any suggestion?

EDIT: I eventually found a solution that allows me to use my ASIO driver and route Ableton's out to a virtual out, and eventually record it, using this program: http://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm#DownloadVoicemeeter
    For those in trouble, I followed this guy's guide:

However even if the latency was fine that process wouldn't allow me to record mic and Ableton's out separately, it would only allow me to record them together, so I'm finally giving up and make recordings with MME/DirectX...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017