Help with sample rates..

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by dbmuzik, May 25, 2016.

1. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Can anyone tell me whether or not there is a measurement chart or any information about what the offset is in milliseconds between the sample rates 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 192, etc.? Such as if a playable input source is coming in at 192 but the recording device is 44.1 all notes played end up being early when playing back the recording unless a record delay/offset is set. I like to record in at 96 and offset the record to line up with 48, or 88.2 offset to line up with 44.1. As of now I delay the record by ear and get ballpark figures like 70ms, etc. But there's got to be a mathematical way to calculate it that I'm just not familiar with that would give me a precise figure like 72.34ms for example instead of what I round off by ear. Any help from someone who has been down a similar road would be appreciated.

EDIT: Problem is solved. Details in comments below if anyone finds this thread later and was thinking in the opposite direction as I initially was. Something so simple I ended up answering my own question.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Could it be a different value dependent on sound card / audio device, i-o overall latency etc?

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

The offset is always different with different sample rates and latencies, and different sound cards, so you have to measure it yourself. Thankfully, once you measure it, you can just write it down and forget it, unless you change the latency or the sample rate, or the sound card. :wink:

How do you measure it? I usually do this: I record a drum machine playing a kick drum within Reaper on a track. Then I send the same drum machine playing the same track through the outboard hardware and back, and record that. Then I zoom in both tracks and see what's the offset in samples between them. When I determine the offset, e.g. 48 samples, I can put that value in the audio driver dialogue box so that the further recordings through the outboard are offset by that value. Easy, eh? :headbang:

Cheers!

5. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

say buffer is 512 samples, sample rate is 44.1kHz

512 samples/44100 samples per second x (1000 ms/ 1 second) = 11.6ms

6. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know how to get the offset in samples if something is late. And after seeing how much later the signal is recorded after the 1 you apply a negative value. That is in case where you hear the output cue later than it is actually is. In my case when recording at the higher rates I hear the monitor out cue sooner than it actually is, and so likewise the recording transcribes early on the timeline. Basically I need to do just the opposite and determine how many samples early I'm recording so I can apply a positive value that is dead on instead of doing it by ear to get extremely close. And you know what.. I think you just helped trigger an idea. Problem was the thought "How do I see how early my recording is if it happens before the 1 and isn't even recorded?". It's the "end" of the recording I was supposed to focus on. All I need to do is see how much sooner the recorded sample ends than the test sample and that will give me the magic number I'm looking for. Cheers bro.