Help with recording

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by robbin_banks, Jan 2, 2015.

1. robbin_banks

robbin_banks Newbie

So when recording a shaker into Ableton the sound does not come out as clear as I'd like it. I really have to turn up my gain so I can get a clear recording but that introduces the hum/background noise into the mix. Would anyone have tips on how to reduce this at all? I've tried low pass filtering it and it helps alot but it does alter the recorded sample (cutting out some of the shaker) abit. I have a AKG perception 420 mic with a scarlett 2i4 interface. Any tips and or ideas on what to do?

3. eheavy

eheavy Member

I think you might have a classic case of grounding issues

are you using any unbalanced cables such as RCA, or "Mono" 1/4 inch cables? if so change them to XLR or balanced cables.

you can test to see if it is a grounding issue by turning your speakers up and unplugging every thing even the computer then plug every thing back in one item at a time and seeing when the noise comes back.

some times you find that the noise is coming from the computer power cable. there are 2 ways to solve this
    1 use a ground lift adapter
    2 tie a wire from the chassis of the computer to the chases of something else that is properly grounded (or some thing like that) Google it first lol

Hope this helps
    E

4. robbin_banks

robbin_banks Newbie

Well I am using a Mogami xlr cable to hook up my mic to the interface, I'll go ahead and see if its a grounding issue though. The is basically nonexistent until I put the gain up more than halfway on the interface. Its usually never an issue with vocals since it picks that up whenever I do vocals. But since the shaker isn't exactly a loud instrument its much more noticeable.

5. tek909

tek909 Member

Your Safire audio card may have a different gain setting, I have the 6in 6 out one. Mine has either a Hi or Low gain setting available. So, You may have to change it on the external card itself or in the Scarlett MixControl software. Other then that most likely I'd agree it's a ground problem... You may also try and use a Gate to remove the noise...???? Good Luck on your audio quest.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Maybe you have the pad (-20dB pad switch on the mic) enabled. Disable it.

Turn up the preamp gain until you have enough gain in (and have some 6dB or so headroom for accidents/loud shaker parts).
    Use good and balanced cables. You might set the mic to omni-directional, and shake "along side" it (not "towards" the mic). Less Doppler effect that way.
    Record the shaker pretty close, even though you might get some proximity effect. Add some highpass (not lowpass) filter to remove the proximity effect and other un-needed lows.

Post process it like normal (EQ, Compression, short reverb, panning, etc).

7. eheavy

eheavy Member

Soooooo did you fix it??? :mates: