Help with minimal/psy bass!

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Doctor_Me, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Doctor_Me

Doctor_Me Platinum Record

Hey guys, hope you're fine.
    I'm trying to achieve a bass like on this track, but I'm not getting that round, snappier and punch sound... I'm trying to make it on Serum and everything I've tried sounds "synthesized" in a bad way if that makes sense. I'm kinda new to this genre and i'm enjoying a lot so i want to learn more about it.

So here is the bass I'm looking for:

Any help will be very appreciated. By the way I'd like some tips on those 2 topics:

1- How to sound design this bass (Waveform, envelopes, pitch envelope, saturation, Layering, mixing tips, etc.)

2- Which element is more predominant on the sub area?

Thanks in advance guys! :mates:

3. Doctor_Me

Here's another one I'm struggling to make, even more difficulty for me to get closer actually...

I really want to learn the sound design behind these kind of basses, so any tip will help me a lot ;)

4. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

simple.
    RP G2.
    :)

5. Doctor_Me

Hey bro, thanks for the answer! Do you mean Go2 by Rob Papen? Never tried Rob Papen stuff, can you tell any tip to achieve these kind of bass on this synth? I mean, just a saw wave with a envelope on the filter is not getting me any closer, even with pitch envelopes it doesn't sound punch and percussive enough...

6. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

that percussive transient you talk about can be made with the attack of a psykick, the click. The punch comes from a good 24db lp filter, a steep envelope and a saw wave, it could be made with a good moog filter emu if you do not have logic ESM. You could sample vb1 and quadrafuzz as in the old days, sylenth and a saturator, ESM, or any vst with good analogish filtering. As a general rule do not overthink the sound, if it sounds crap from the vst, it won't get better. If the raw patch sounds good and punchy, then saturate it, eq and compress it to enhance it(later add the click). Also psybass is almost never played straight from the vst, it is always sampled to keep it tight with the beat. I personally find serum sterile but you can make it sound ok. Here is a tutorial on the right direction (w serum).

As you can see it is inspired after Vini Vici (Aviram being the brain behind), Armin learned that sound from a collab with them.
    I do not like too much that bass I prefer the PVD sound but hey, to each his own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Doctor_Me

Nice Herr Tony, thanks for the tips, never thought in layer actual percussion to the bass, actually i think my problem is that I was trying to do everything in one patch alone. I will try the psy click layer for sure, probably it's what i was looing for. Thanks again bro! :mates: