Help with licensing a cover song - 2 questions

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Cardamom, May 28, 2024.

1. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Hi gang.

Okay, back in 2019, the publishing company for the song I've recorded/covered offered
    250 downloads for $22.75 (CAD) or, $.091 x 250 units).

I've just been on EASYSONG (recommended by CDbaby) and their specifics ALSO require an estimated number for "digital downloads, AND "interactive audio streams" as well as "YouTube / Other Video Streams" ... something that the publisher above didn't offer/consider.

Q1: Am I better just to go with EASYSONG than to finagle with the original publisher I reached out to?

Q2: What, for an indie artist such as myself, is a reasonable download amount or streamed amount to suggest? I've seen 250 (as above) and I've seen negotiations for 500 download/streams as well.

Anyone have any experience and/or thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance!
    M

3. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

It gets complicated quickly when it comes to streaming...

I know someone who has published music that's terrible and it's gotten more than 500 Spotify streams. Keep that in mind, because I think you'll lose money on every Spotify stream at your investment of $0.09 cost per stream. Spotify only pays to you $0.003 to $0.005 per stream.

I just realized how dismal those number are. I really hope my math is as terrible as my math is.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I bought a truckload of watermelons for $1 a piece. My brother set up a stand and sold all of them for $1 in just a few hours but we didn't make any money. Next time I guess I'll just need a bigger truck.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Yeah, I was wondering about that - I remembered the cost of streaming vs. actual song-download sales. Maybe the songwriter's publisher knows that and didn't make any other requests other than on downloading?

Thanks Mate!
    M

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List