Help with Kontakt libraries in Ableton

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by fiestafry, Apr 6, 2020.

1. fiestafry

fiestafry Newbie

I've got a k'd Kontakt 5.6 which loads libraries on its own perfectly on my Mac (OS 10.14.16). I'm having issues using the Kontakt VST in Ableton 10. When I use the standard VST routing, a Kontakt 5.8 player opens in Ableton, which runs the libraries in demo mode, disabling them after a while. I managed to route to another Kontakt VST file I had which opens a 5.0 player that doesn't require any activations, but it says that the patches I have were created in a later version and I need to update in order to use them. Is there a solution? My k'd files are from years ago, are they simply out of date, or is something else going on?

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Hi, and welcome.
    So it sounds like your 5.8 is not cracked!
    Why have you not got a k'd 5.6 vst that opens in Live?
    We're on 6.2.2 now, so yes your Kontakts are hugely "out of date", not so important, but most importantly 5.8 is not k'd!
    If your k'd files are "from years ago", how come you've only just noticed this...?
    Btw, there is no macOS 10.14.16 ! Perhaps you mean 10.14.6 ?

4. fiestafry

fiestafry Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply - you ask some excellent questions!
    I've just gotten a new computer (which, yes, is 10.14.6), and so am installing a series of k'd Kontakts from an old hard drive onto this new computer - and I hadn't been using Live on the old computer, hence I'm only noticing this issue now.
    The files I have install in two parts - first I install 5.4.1 then update to 5.6. Then I have files to install 5.6.5 and update to 5.8. Though when I do that, the 5.8 version doesn't open, but the 5.6.5 does.
    So based on your questions I uninstalled everything and then just installed up to 5.6, to see what would happen.
    It seems like the 5.6 VST just does not show up in Live for some reason. I route to the folder it's in, but it just doesn't show up. Other VSTs like Aria Player and Real Guitar do show up, but not Kontakt.

5. Smoove Grooves

That was a clever thing to try! Yeah, using updates is a bit long-winded, but still should work...IF Kontakt is patched/k'd right.
    When you say you are installing them from an old HD, I sure hope you mean that you have the original installers and are actually installing them on your new machine, not just copy/pasting some already installed files?!
    Also, if "out of date" was a thing, then it wouldn't even open in Live or as standalone at all, eh.

6. fiestafry

fiestafry Newbie

Yes, definitely using the original installers!
    I went back and looked on my old computer...I actually had Live 9 installed and the Kontakt 5.6 VST works just fine. On the new computer, I have Live 10. Do you know if anything in Live 10 would affect the Kontakt VST, vs Live 9?

7. Smoove Grooves

Ah! So maybe it's not the k'd software after all.
    I'm gonna pm you.

8. Smoove Grooves

Can u refresh the page and check your inbox please?