Help with installing Kontakt libraries

Discussion in 'Software' started by lovefish, Dec 28, 2018.

1. lovefish

lovefish Newbie

Hi! I have had no luck installing most Kontakt libraries (using Kontakt 6.0.2 and 5.6.5 as plugins or standalones), so instead I have had to dig into the 'files' section and select the .nki files individually.

For example, I have Berlin Woodwinds EXP C Library, which is meant to work alone even though it's an expansion. This is a typical example (same as other regular libraries that also won't get added). I have it as a folder containing folders named:
    -documentation
    -instruments
    -samples

And then two files:
    bww_exp_c_container_1.0.0.nkc
    bww_exp_c_container_1.0.0.nkr

I don't know how to open or use those last two files. And when I try to use Kontakt 5.6.5 to 'add libraries', when I point it to this folder it simply says "No library found". It does this with every library I have. I did manage to add a couple of libraries from .iso files but how do you do it for these non-iso files?

Help much appreciated!

3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I usually just copy the library to my main Daw Lib folder, and use the Quickload feature to organize & access them. Right-clicking in the blank right pane brings up the Quickload section. It will be blank if you have not created folders. It works great for Instruments, Multis, and I suppose "banks", but i have not set up any banks yet...
    The actual location of the Quickload folders is :
    C:\Users\xx User xx\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\QuickLoad

I use the QuickLoad feature for everything now and do not care if it is "installed" or not. (Yes I do use the Library Installer, but never even look at that pretty display :no: )
    Quickload you can set up however you like... Very easy to rename folders, and have your own favorites at the top, etc.
    To add stuff to Quickload, I just drag the whole folder into one of my categories in the Quickload window, then drag other folders (or files) where I want them.
    Actually here is a pic of how it can work: Kontakt QL 01.jpg
    And how I have mine organized in general: Kontakt QL Categories.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  4. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

If there's no NICNT file, the library creators are not paying to Native Instruments for the usage of the Kontakt engine and therefore you can't add it as a library with the picture. You're supposed to use the File tab and load the individual .nki files in this case. For legit owners, this also means you need to buy the full version of Kontakt, the one that also allows you to create your own patches. You can create or download unofficial NICNT files for these libraries, or you can read up on Quickload and start using it.

Edit: Also, .nkc and .nkr files are not sounds and not NICNT files, either. First one is a container, second one is a resources file. Both are like ZIP files and contain mostly images for the knobs and whatnot in the GUI.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Make your own NICNT. Make sure the SNPID you use is not being used by another library or software. If it is already taken use a different SNPID.

6. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

.nkc is just a cache file, if you remove it, Kontakt will create it again next time when you load the instrument.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I sent you a link for the .nicnt file of the main BWW library in P.M.

8. lovefish

lovefish Newbie

Thanks very much for the advice guys! Gradually putting it into practice....