Help with home theater media center

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by RMorgan, Nov 14, 2017.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Hey folks, how are you? I hope you're all having a fine week.

So, I'm planning on building a Home Theater in my new home, which is currently under construction.

I'm planning to set up a projector, connected to a receiver, which then will be connected to a device (android box, tablet, old laptop or something like that) which will access all my movies and music from my office PC via network.

Basically, that's what I'm going to do. Now I need your help because I've never done anything like that before...And there's too many conflicting info on Google.

I'm mostly undecided about which device should I choose to make my projector "smart".

An Android Box is cool, but since I don't have a TV (and won't buy one) I would have to turn on the projector any time I want to access it, let's say, to simply listen to some music. So I guess it's out of the equation.

An Android Tablet seems to be a better option, since it's portable and I could use it anywhere in the house...But is there any way to connect it wirelessly to the projector and stream whatever I want to it, via chromecast or similar device? It seems complicated....I mean, which repositories should I add? Which add-ons are the best? How can I make it look good? etc...

The third option is to use an old laptop or PC. Sure, it's the most rudimentar and less refined option, but it's way more flexible and fool proof, right?

What do you think?

Another thing I haven't decided is which software to use as my media manager.

Most people love Kodi, but I've heard good things about Plex as well...Kodi is way more solid than Plex, as far as I can see, but it's so confusing to set up...You have to add repositories, download stuff from shady sources...It's very complicated.

Any Kodi experts could give me a hand here? I'd really appreciate that.

So, to sum up, all I want is to stream stuff (music and videos) from my office PC (which will be in another room) to my projector, via network, with a nice interface in between, as seamless and elegantly as possible.

I would really appreciate some help.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i gave up on kodi. way too much hassle. you have to constantly update the repositories and finding what you want is a real pita. for the last five years we have been using the same windows 7 small form factor pc with the old windows media center that came with windows 7 premium. microsoft had a great product there, but it was discontinued. the computer is never shut down, but goes into sleep mode when not recording or playing back. every few months i need to reboot it so i can install windows updates. it has been a rock solid htpc for us. and very simple to use.

4. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Thanks for replying, brother.

Yep, this would be the most reliable and straightforward solution indeed.

So, I assume your PC is located in the same room as your TV/receiver/projector, right?

What device do you use to remote control it, let's say, when you're on your couch? Simple wireless mouse and keyboard? One of those weird mouse+keyboard+all in one bluetooth devices? A tablet or cellphone?

R.

5. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i bought a windows media center remote control for something like $15 on amazon, and a wireless logitech keyboard with trackpad for things like web browsing and navigating to online streams. there are some newer wireless keyboards that are more compact and backlit for dim-lit rooms that are probably better than what i got. the pc that i bought had an hdmi video out. the pc is located in the cabinet that supports the tv.

6. electriclash

electriclash Guest