Help With Hardware Vocoder

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by jd87, Nov 11, 2023.

1. jd87

jd87 Member

Just wondering if someone with a vintage hardware vocoder (or any hardware vocoder like micro korg etc..) could make me a few custom .wavs and send them to me. Its for a neat project. Its just a few spoken robotic style words. If you can help out just let me know.:wink:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

4. stopped

stopped Producer

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

i just left some options because he mentioned a deadline. the day after that deadline 15 people will offer up some samples.
    Stevie Wonder's EMS5000 might be a tall order. The only hardware vocoders I know of are either vintage and very valuable, newer and digital like the korgs, or software. That Arturia version doesn't actually accept input from a mic, does it? Zynaptic Orange is one of those that has not been extended trial for mac since 2012. There have been two releases of it from R2R from October. Kinda makes me wonder the purpose of the experiment.

6. jd87

jd87 Member

I kinda thought I might have to resort to software, that said, real vocoders sound much better.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

There was a video posted by a user on here a few months ago of him using vocoder plugin and playing keys with it pretty well. I remember it being software and was impressed by it for software. Now I can't find the thread... my guess it was the Zynaptiq Orange though. Their plugins are usually good quality results manipulating audio.

8. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Don't think hw vocoders are necessarily better than vsts.
    I tested a korg hw (don't remember the model, was a small box with 10 bands or so) and wasn't that exceptional.
    I tested also a lot of vsts (Melda, Vocodex, blah blah) and though some has advantages over the others, I found Xils EMS 5000 one of the most powerful (and complex) ever.
    I would not suggest it if you have the urge to play.

Orange vocoder has a fancy gui and pretty fast setup, have a try.
    BTW Xils EMS 500 test:

9. daniel_von

daniel_von Noisemaker

Izotope's VocalSynth is my go-to vocoder nowadays.

10. alexgreggs

alexgreggs Member

The Cherry RODE Vocoder, pretty good, but the Arturia has more balls, and you can go live mic into it via the sidechain. Been working on a software-based talk box.... because that arturia video with the "real talkbox sound" was fighting words.
    i can run whatever you want through my plugs. Ive gort them sounding hard AF

11. jd87

jd87 Member

Ok thanks guys. Ok I actually found a real rarity. Its from march 2000 its called Fxpansion robotik vocoder. Once you have a good setup with it it really sounds like the electronic artists back in the day used exactly that. Btw hit me up if you want it its rare. (ZONE)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  12. jd87

jd87 Member

If you don't believe me RobotiK Vocoder is actually good. I chopped up an old sample I ripped from the 2009 season of America's got talent (girl Elisha Miller) as an example. This won't be used in my track I'm working on. I used bass station and poizone vst's as the synths for the modulation.
    24-7 (no vocoder)

24-7 (robotic vocoder)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

That sounds good. I looked in the usual spots and didn't see that one. If you are still after a "vintage" sound you could always add some subtle lo-fi or saturation effects. On Mac, we got the Rob Papen effects all in a really big bundle; and it has a plugin called RoCoder. There was an R2R version of it for pc that is just that one plugin separately. Under 20 meg, when that bundle is multiple gigabytes. You could check that one out too, as it is only a few years old and is 64bit. The FXpansion one sounds good. it doesn't seem like there was one for an extended demo on Mac or I'd try it out.

i'm checking out EMS5000 emulation and it's pretty nice. I have to take @orbitbooster warning about it. you could start screwing around with it and next thing you know it's been an hour.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  14. jd87

jd87 Member

I'm looking for someone to both sing a few robotic style verses and run it through their hardware vocoder if they have one. Just send me a message if your interested in collaborating maybe we can work something out.