HELP with dead PC

Discussion in 'PC' started by Infidel, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I have an XP machine I want to use because of old plugins and ReBirth (doesn't work on new OS's). My problem is the damn thing stopped booting. I get nothing but fan noise most of the time. I see the hard drive light flash a few seconds then nothing but fan noise. The HD is not the problem because I hooked an adaptor to it and extracted data to another PC for backup. I am wondering if the CPU kacked or is it just the clock battery that died (11 year old PC replaced battery once before) or something in between. Any expert PC tech help appreciated. :(

3. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I forgot to mention sometimes I get a POST code of one long beep.

4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

check your display adapter, external or internal graphic card, try changing it, to know if your computer is working or not, keep hitting "Num Lock" Button if you see it on & off u're computer is working normally, but there is no signal out from ur graphic adapter in this case, try changing the cable or the card it self, even try with another monitor, and if you're using a DVI/VGA adapter or something like that try changing it...

let me clear it up for you,

start by changing the cable, changing other VGA outputs, try changing adapter VGA/DVI ect ect, try changing monitor, if no luck, try changing your display output, if no luck try changing your graphic card, if no luck, if you have an integrated graphic card try taking off your CG* and use the integrated output, if you had no luck with the integrated output or neither your graphic card or even a new graphic card, maybe it's the motherboard it self, i'm half asleep, hope you got my words.

good luck sir.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

Check ram is seated properly. Check graphic card connections also

• List
  6. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Is the cpu fan working ?

Try reseating the memory chips.

good luck.

• List
  7. 3L-D0R4D0

3L-D0R4D0 Newbie

Long repeated Beeps usually means dirty ram socket and or ram. Remove it clean both ram and socket, put it back. if that's the problem it should fire right up. Just cleaned mine a couple days ago which also had the repeated beeps on win xp.

8. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Do the fans run steady or they go fast / slow / fast / slow? I have system do this and the beeps happen only sometimes not everytime. The problem turn out to be ram for me.

Disconnect all extra stuff. Only 1 hd, 1 gfx, no extra pci stuff. If you have more than 1 ram try with only 1 in.

9. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Your power supply is dead normally they output no power when dead and a lot times they give out power , just to half way boot the pc where it doesn't give enough juice for video display or anything else to work
    Ebay or Amazon 30-40 for decent one you'll be back in Business ! Thats your long beep Code too :wink:

your bios battery just holds your bios settings in place , you would still boot up and work with a dead one, just overtime you unplug you pc you lose settings

10. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Its no problem to run Rebirth at Win7 64 Bit!!

Just download latest Radium Release of Rebirth RB338 v2.01 (Radium-12-12-1998) or if you have an original ISO of it.
    Then download the Win7 64Bit Installer here (official Release so its no Warez)
    http://www.reasonfrance.fr/extra/ReBirth_RB-338_2.0.1_Installer_Windows_7_64_bit.zip

From that package run Windows update "Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu" first and secondly "ReBirth RB-338 2.0.1 Installer.exe"

Then install the mentioned Rebirth RB338 v2.01 (Radium-12-12-1998) to default dir. When finished simply copy the files from Radium Rebirth version to the install path where "ReBirth RB-338 2.0.1 Installer.exe" installed the package and overwrite all files. Thats it!

If you dont believe here a screenshot from my system:
    http://i.imgur.com/Iduw300.jpg?1

11. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Thanks for all the quick answers y'all. I think it is the Power Supply. And thanks lukehh for the ReBirth fountain of youth. :headbang:

12. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

You can always check if your new machine doesn't support XP. Basically everything up to 2013 should support it just fine. :wink:
    I still have XP on all my machines as secondary OS.

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Infidel, just don't buy a weaker power supply than the one you've got. Especially if your computer is based on Intel Prescott Pentium 4. Especially the 2.4 and 2.53GHz ones. You can never give enough "juice" to power these. Buying a ~500W power supply wouldn't hurt. :wink: Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec PSUs are what I usually use in my builds. It doesn't hurt to buy a good one as you can recycle it for a new PC build. :wink:

14. Willum

Willum Rock Star

If you like Rebirth, dont forget about Rubberduck, runs fine on my win7 x64 and its just a small download. http://www.d-lusion.com/ProductsRubberduck.html

15. HalleBnLilSis

HalleBnLilSis Member

Greetz,

We tend 2 agree that this is usually a RAM Problem. What Type Of Bios Iz Your System Using (AMI, Phoenix, AWARD)? (Bad Stick, Improperly Installed, etc. If U have Xtra RAM that works N Your System Swap It Out. Something N The POST (Power On Self Test) Is Generating Your Error Beep & Single Long One Usually Indicates A Critical Start-Up Component (CPU, RAM, Graphics)Isn't Responding.

Here's A Good Source Of Info On What The Error Beepz Might Mean - Computer POST and beep codes - http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

We'd Start there. *yes* :bow:

16. gigasquid

gigasquid Noisemaker

1: PCs use low voltage to do what they do. Power supplies output 12v DC, 5v DC. 3,3v DC.
    2: All (most) sockets and the plugs/devices that plug into them, use copper, plated copper or mixed low-resistance metals that tarnish (oxidize) with time.
    3: Low voltage is not able to punch through the oxidation layer to make contact.
    4: When things stop dead or go screwy, turn off the computer but leave plugged in so it's connected to mains earth.
    5: Go buy a can of "CRC Precision CO Contact Cleaner". So far I've found this the best one to use.
    6: Unplug all RAM, the main power plug from power supply to mobo, graphics cards, USB devices etc.
    7: Carefully wet-spray all plugs, their sockets, contact surfaces and work the surfaces together (plug/unplug several times) so any oxide layer is broken/removed.
    8: Plug everything back in and boot computer.
    9: The above is the first thing I do when things don't work.
    10: If computer still does not function, the problem is deeper. A component has failed. Try to isolate it step by step and replace it.
    Note: Bulging electrolytic capacitors are a sign of trouble!