help with correct tone scale in Dancehall Beat

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by BenniTheBlockbuster, Jul 29, 2022.

1. BenniTheBlockbuster

BenniTheBlockbuster Producer

hello I have a question, could someone here possibly listen in whether the tones fit together ?
    I produced the whole thing in Cubase and used the scale highlight function.
    It's not mixed, it's just a matter of whether the notes all fit together.
    I don't know much about music theory, but it sounds coherent to me.
    The whole thing is in F#m.
    Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I don't know music theory either. But to me it sounds great. The piano sounds fairly dissonant to my ears, but nothing that jumps out to me.

4. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

For shure the notes fit together. Time for some self-confidence. The little piece is funny and one of a kind. Keep on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

dude, the "Dembow" is all over the place, the bassline though..

Western Scale doesnt really apply to these type of music and every "Dembow" kinda comes with its own certain unique scale of its own or something while you composing the main rhythm and you build from that. It's "beat/rhythm driven" music and you shouldn't arrange it like a melodic song, layering melody like this. You can try and will always have these type of "why the tone feels wrong even it is theoretically right" feel and the song has zero energy. Let alone driving people to dance.

I think the best tutorial video I've ever watch that kinda explain the details about arranging Dembow is Mix With The Masters Despacito, this one, I learn shit ton of things from it, and watched it for more than 10 times because it is in Spanish just to understand every little details of what it is they are trying to say precisely. Afterall the wrote the highest streamed music ever on youtube (i think). 7 billion! I suggest you take some time off and watch it. No longer available on sister site though. This is just some highlight from it.

you see, I can just say everything is alright like everybody else and move on but I rather have more good music around me than mediocre one. please don't get me wrong. hwaiting!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  6. BenniTheBlockbuster

thank you very much , i think i will rearrange the Guitar .
    But what is with the Bassline ? its not off or ?

7. BenniTheBlockbuster

yes , you are absolutely right . thank you !

8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

It's not theoretically wrong, but the progression, notes, rhythm and timing feels wrong because the current bassline kinda driving the song to something very opposite of the main beat's feels and mood trying to build. It's like canceling each other and making the atmosphere kinda awkward. Also I'm really shit at explaining thing.

9. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

" Despacito " Bahh...

10. scroatmilk

scroatmilk Noisemaker

Sounds to me like the piano part is whats conflicting here. Its playing triads that are not in the key. mute the piano and see how it sounds to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. mykorrhiza

mykorrhiza Kapellmeister

As you're doing kinda dancehall riddim, you maybe have in mind to voice it with some artist after production. When i do such things, i'm always testing how easy i can sing or hum or scat to my current composition, as a singer or MC should be able to voice it straight away whitout the need to study it for days. Also i found that a clear and quiet simple melody structure leaves more "space" for the vocalist even if multiple instruments are playing in the back.
    So, regarding your likkle piece: While the second part felt very smooth and straight to me and it was easy to hum smtn to it, the first part felt pretty chaotic and overloaded, and even if nothing is literally wrong, it sound not cohesive to me. Maybe give less notes a try, less is often more, especially when it comes to dancehall and reggae. Also it sounds like reggaeton to me, but i'm an old fart, maybe there are new terms for this now:)
    Hit it hard!
    1 love