Help with controlling reverb-heavy pads

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by ADSR_envelope, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ADSR_envelope

ADSR_envelope Noisemaker

Firstly, greets: long-time, first-time. Thanks for helping out this hobbyist massively over the last few months.

So, yeah, I use a lot of reverb-heavy synths pads, usually in U-He Diva, in Logic, and I really struggle to get rid of a slight, persistent, low-end rattle. EQ-ing doesn't seem to help (though, I am very, very possibly not doing it correctly). I occasionally have the same issue with the trial version of Pianoteq I use, when I have the sustain + a reverb plug-in going.

Help would be appreciated. Obvs. Thanks.

*edit* - Ta for the suggestions - in combination, they have things sounding better. Oh, and Baxter - turning off reverb is never an option...

Peace out.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  3. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Are you recording the pads/pianos with their internal reverbs on? If so, turn the internal reverbs off and record the pads and pianos dry. Then, you'll be able to add whatever reverb you want, either by a plug-in insert or (even better) via sending to an auxiliary reverb track. Unless I read your post wrong, it sounds like you're recording these pads and pianos with their internal reverbs on, then adding a reverb plug on top of it. That's adding unwanted early reflections and tails to tracks that are already reverb-heavy, and could be the cause of your problems. If the idea of recording these instruments dry and adding reverb via plug-ins doesn't appeal to you, then you're better off just recording the pads and pianos with their internal reverbs on and not adding anything else.

4. P O P

P O P Kapellmeister

make sure to EQ before the reverb!!!
    you can set your lowcut around 500hz & highcut between 3- 6k (it depends what kind of reverb sound you want), it will help to clean things up.You can push your aux send level harder than you would have do without EQing.
    hope it helps

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Turn reverb...off.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

-External reverb in a return FX track. All wet and set "send" level to taste on your synth track (full dry).
    -Heavy lowcut BEFORE reverb.You can even keep only High freqs. High freqs are less prone to frequency clash.

Sidenote : NEVER use an internal reverb not providing a pre-EQ setting (at minimum, a low cut). Because EQ afterward just remove synth and reverb at the same time. It doesn't solve anything.

:mates:

7. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

this a lot of synths have the ability to set where you want the FX in the chain.

then i'd stick a reverb as an insert or a send. and then eq after.

(some reverbs have eq built in as well so you can take out some lows)

8. santillana

santillana Kapellmeister

I'm with Baxter here. Less reverb :) Anyway It is very difficult to tell without listen to it.

Don't know if this will help but this is what I do most of the time.

1- Got a great synth in the breakdown of the song with loads of reverb and stuff.
    2- Duplicate the settings of everything of that sound/track
    3- Make it to work on the new section of the track with more or less reverb , different eq, more or less compression, sidechain etc etc

You get the idea right ?

If a sound goes great in a section don't change it because it doesn't work on another section, leave it there.

Duplicate and carry on :)

9. Gaiana

Gaiana Member

A great trick to helping to blend big reverbs into your mix without them covering and smudging up everything is by bouncing your stereo track down to 2 x mono seperated L & R, then pan the two mono signals to extreme left and right, adjust volume to blend into the mix. This will give you a very wide field with deep and big reverb, yet leave the centre open and free for leads & percs etc.
    Play around with that idea to situate your reverb placement perfectly within your mix/taste.
    Additionally, you could route the 2 mono tracks back into a stereo bus and experiment with ie. S1-imager from waves or something similar.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. ADSR_envelope

ADSR_envelope Noisemaker

Cheers, just fiddled around with this concept for a bit - my mix is sounding far cleaner!

11. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

May be you know this already. I always automate the 'mix' knob (and the other parameters when required). If you have lot of dynamics going on, put the 'mix' channel parameter on 'touch' mode (read, write, latch, touch). Record your channel and manually play with the parameter. It's painstaking but outcome is really good.