Help with choosing Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Strivingtolive, Jul 4, 2023.

1. ptepper

ptepper Kapellmeister

The i7-11800H and other Intel/AMD processors may not be just as efficient as Apple Silicon processors, but the main problem seems to be the general concept of a PC computer, which is nowhere close to being optimised for audio. Hence constant problems with DPC latency etc. It's the matter of priorities, which in the Apple's case have been set differently. Add to it an impressive level of hardware integration, CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, basically a system-on-a-chip, and a technically weaker CPU in a system free of bottlenecks manages to outperform the stronger Intel/AMD competitors.

The processor in my iMac is an ordinary M1, with 8 CPU cores (4x performance + 4x efficiency cores) and 8 GPU cores. There's a version of the M1 with 7 GPU cores, used in the MB Air and the base model of iMac, but it seems to be just as capable for audio tasks. The M1 Pro (8x performance + 2x efficiency cores) is significantly faster than M1.

The i9-13980HX is a monster, but it also generates a lot of heat when pushed hard so a lot will depend on a particular hardware implementation. It's quite unpredictable. Until the current PC laptop technology catches up with the ventilation and other issues, I'd rather play safe and take the MB Pro route. In addition to complete silence and lower electricity bills, there are these gorgeous Retina displays. Whenever I start having doubts about the (partial) switch to Apple, one look at the 24" 4.5K iMac screen makes me shut up instantly.

Thank you for your challenge. It was a good learning experience and it confirmed my findings about the suitability for audio of the latest generation of midrange PC laptops. Despite everything, I know I'll be back there on the PC side as soon as the current issues are sorted out.

2. AudioSox

AudioSox Ultrasonic

If you know how to tweak the system the DPC latency can be lowered significantly. And PC's have a much better price/performance ratio.

3. Gavim

Gavim Newbie

Hi, I would get the 2022 M2 MBP. I am assuming you're talking about the 13 inch? If you buy used you can get a m1 MBP 14 for around $1200. I am a long time PC/Laptop user and I made the switch to the M1 Pro MBP 14 and I love it. There are only a few of my Warez plugins that aren't available on Mac but I have learned to live without them and just find an alternative. I really love the long battery life, almost zero fan noise and build quality. I am using Rosetta to run all my music software for compatibility, and it is still faster than my desktop PC which has a Ryzen 3600 & 16GB Ram. The 2022 M2 MBP will do you fine I just recommend getting at least 16 GB of ram. The only thing I did not like when I had my 13-inch MacBook air before I upgraded was the smaller screen. On my windows laptops I have always been used to 15-inch screens, so the 13-inch felt very small. That was my only complaint though. I think the 14 inch is perfect if you can fit it into your budget. It took me a few weeks to get used to macOS and the way things work on there because there are many differences, but it will allow you to be well versed on Mac and Windows when you have to use a mac in a real studio.

Hope that helps!

4. NeXT

NeXT Ultrasonic

Laptop close to my Ears
    By Design Skip I Must
    Silent Apple Thuds my Cranium
    Choice is Clear

5. Balisani

Balisani Member

There's a gazillion good plugins for Mac - FabFilter for instance - and the fact that there's not as many as for Windows is actually good. You don't want to drown in a sea of crappy plugins. Also on Mac: Logic Pro X, there is no better value (it's not even protected - get a Mac and get Logic on AudioZ and off you go), and it's got excellent stock plugins (that I use regularly even though I own tons of UAD and Brainworx-PluginAlliance stuff and more).

If you can afford a Mac, it's a no brainer. You couldn't pay me to go back to Windows. That's my insight: get a Mac and stay on Mac. You can thank me later by passing on the advice to a younger buck than you when the time comes.